Jr Gent 2 threads

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

Yet again there seems to be a change in the threads. I have 3 new kits that are postable and purchased from CSUSA. 2 have been used in production and one not yet used.
I am comparing this to a kit that was bought 17 months ago from the same vendor. That kit works fine.
On all three of the new sets, the threads seem to catch often when screwing the nib into the cap. After taking lots of measurements the external thread section seems to be a few thousands bigger and the internal nylon threads seem to be slightly smaller. I did notice right away that the sections seem tighter then the older set.
I'm thinking that the tighter fit is causing the start thread to dig into the first thread of the nylon. After I notice it catches a few times I can see that the internal start thread is slightly damaged. The tighter fit may be inhibiting the threads from moving slightly and seating correctly like the older set does.
Anyone else seeing this issue?

Edit: As a side note: I checked a rhodium kit that was purchased in July from Exotics and it has no problem.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Just to be clear, we purchase from Craft Supply at the retail level--so ours will be the same as theirs---no magic formula to make ours any better.

Dale Allen

No other kits on hand and I've never had a Statesman or Emporer.
I switched to the Jr Gent 2 because I liked the larger flat thread and until now I had never had a problem. None of the past customers have mentioned anything is wrong and I think I would have noticed it before.

I talked to a tech at CSUSA and explained the issue. We'll see if anything develops from that. I suppose I could switch to the baron kits but that has a 4-start thread wheres the JG2 has 2.

Ed;
Any particulate reason you began selling just the center bands for these? :confused:

gbpens

I have experienced the sam problem with the Jr Gent II components I purchased last month from CSUSA. After numerous screwing and unscrewing the offending threads were wore to the point of no sticking.

tim self

From my experience, sometimes the pressing pens together has distorted the insert. With a little working of post and unposting, I've been able to save the pen.

I've also had the experience of having black ti with different threads. Those had to be used with that plating only.

As for why he started selling the plastic inserts. Ever have a customer rip one apart? Helps us to repair the pen without stealing one from a good kit.

Dale Allen

From my experience, sometimes the pressing pens together has distorted the insert. With a little working of post and unposting, I've been able to save the pen.

I've also had the experience of having black ti with different threads. Those had to be used with that plating only.

As for why he started selling the plastic inserts. Ever have a customer rip one apart? Helps us to repair the pen without stealing one from a good kit.

These are new kits and one has not even been used! Where do you get the idea of distorting the threads? The unused one exhibits the same problem. And as for different threads in the black ti...why would one use 2 different platings anyway???:confused:

CSUSA is sending me 3 new internals. He said all of the ones he looked at were fine, we'll see!

I may give Eugene's solution a try though.:)

OKLAHOMAN

Dale , CSUSA has always taken care of any problems, they buy from Dayacom by the thousand and there are times when s#$! happens through no fault of their's but rest assured they will take care of you.

Dale Allen

Dale , CSUSA has always taken care of any problems, they buy from Dayacom by the thousand and there are times when s#$! happens through no fault of their's but rest assured they will take care of you.

Yeah, that's the easy part. They have always been helpful.
Problem is that both ends are closed and I really don't want to drill a hole in the end. I'll think of something!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
No other kits on hand and I've never had a Statesman or Emporer.
I switched to the Jr Gent 2 because I liked the larger flat thread and until now I had never had a problem. None of the past customers have mentioned anything is wrong and I think I would have noticed it before.

I talked to a tech at CSUSA and explained the issue. We'll see if anything develops from that. I suppose I could switch to the baron kits but that has a 4-start thread wheres the JG2 has 2.

Ed;
Any particulate reason you began selling just the center bands for these? :confused:

Because they break. Usually from abuse, but broken nonetheless.

Dale Allen

I have receive the 3 replacement parts and they all do the same thing. They catch a bit at certain times. I believe the cause is that the start thread on the metal section tapers to a point and that sharper point is digging into the flat start thread on the plastic. I can see that the beginning of the flat internal thread is slightly damaged after it has caught a few times.
Eugene is right in that it will wear into that part of the thread until it has tapered the internal start thread. Then it nearly quits catching.
My concern is that a customer may have a negative view of this 'catching' and it may deter a sale.

SteveG

...Eugene is right in that it will wear into that part of the thread until it has tapered the internal start thread. Then it nearly quits catching.
My concern is that a customer may have a negative view of this 'catching' and it may deter a sale.

You are well aware that a customer expects that an expensive pen will be "perfect", or nearly so. So a pen with threads catching is not going to sell. you will either have to work it until it is completely smooth, or replace the thread insert until you find one that works. For the person that experiences one sticking pen, it will cast dispersions on ALL your pens for him. So don't put it out if it fails your criteria.
Steve

Top Bottom