JR Gent 2 info

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

workinforwood

I ordered a few of these, although they haven't arrived yet. The ship out time was very fast, but the UPS time is pretty darn slow. I noticed they left Illinois on friday and where in Utah yesterday, but I am the opposite direction in Michigan. I guess the kits need to travel the country a bit and see some scenery.

Anyhow...I'm working on creating a blank for one of them. I do not know the lengths of the barrels. I need the lower barrel length and the cap length. I do not know what the drill sizes will be, but that isn't too important, but I do need to know if it'll fit in a 3/4 square blank. Otherwise, I can make the blank larger. It's segmentation, so that's why this info is important to me. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

I agree about UPS, the pits for shipping efficiency. Whenever possible I choose FedEx or USPS. The drill bits you need for the Jr. Gent. II are 10.5mm and 12.5mm. You can get lengths by going to the Craft Supply U.S.A. web site and downloading instructions for that kit. If that doesn't work for you, let us know. I, or I'm sure, someone will measure tubes and post for you. But using the web site is less error prone. As for the blanks, 3/4" can be used but require a lot of sincere praying before you start drilling and a very good means of securing the blank on your drill press. I prefer 7/8" or 1". If you buy your drills from CS be sure to sharpen, or have them professionally sharpened before you try drilling on your precious blanks. Failing to do so is a guarantee for disaster. BTW, I like the Jr. Gent. II. It is a great pen, IMHO.

gerryr

I use 3/4" blanks for Juniors all the time and also use 3/4" blanks for full size Gents and Statesman, as long they're pretty square and straight.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />I use 3/4" blanks for Juniors all the time and also use 3/4" blanks for full size Gents and Statesman, as long they're pretty square and straight.

You forgot to say that you also pray a lot.

2007101016208_rofl.gif
<br />

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by workinforwood
<br />I see the instruction sheet says use 5" blank. Doesn't say what the lengths of the actual tubes are. That's what I would like to know if someone could measure them for me. Thanx.

OK, my digital calipers give this: large (12.5mm) tube is 1.892"; small (10.5mm) tube is 2.090".

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
With proper technique, the only pen I cannot get out of a 3/4" square blank is the Panache. The Juniors, Baron, and Sedona (and smaller diameter pens) can all be made out of 5/8" stock. I prefer not to have to turn off more wood than is required. (BTW, in a pinch, I can get Gents and the like out of 5/8" but there is some pucker factor.) [8D]

Rmartin

I would allow for a bit more than 2 inches. Trimming is easy, but the only blank stretcher I know of is at the pen blank store.

Rmartin
I cut corners

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by Rmartin
<br />I would allow for a bit more than 2 inches. Trimming is easy, but the only blank stretcher I know of is at the pen blank store.

Rmartin
I cut corners

How many wounded blanks have you removed from the battlefield???[}:)][}:)][}:)]

workinforwood

I have personally tossed many a blank to the bin. I did of course make my blanks for a touch over length. Usually though, blanks go to the bin because I'm unhappy with the way they look, not because of how they are turned.

When I printed the instructions for the jr gent II , I noticed they also say for jr statesman II. Do both these pens use the same drills and bushings?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Yes,

You can make a pen, planning on making it a JR. Gent, then if it turns out PHENOMENAL!!!, make it a Jr. Statesman. Has worked for me!![:D][:D][:D]

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />
You can make a pen, planning on making it a JR. Gent, then if it turns out PHENOMENAL!!!, make it a Jr. Statesman. Has worked for me!![:D][:D][:D]

Yes but has it happened more than once in your lifetime? [:0]

Cav and I love it when you leave yourself wide open like that![:D]

Woodlvr

FWIW I just finished a Cross pen(I know it did NOT happen without pictures[:D]) but I used a "Y" drill bit instead if the 10.5mm and it worked great, for me anyway but I use thick CA glue.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom