Jr Gent 1/Refills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Irish Pat

A friend sent me a Jr Gent 1 RB a while back,after turning I started to assemble the pen kit.I didn't use the refill that came with it but I replaced it with a Schmidt 888 refill but it won't fit,everything looks the same but the Schmidt won't go down the full way.I was going to buy a few from him but I'm not sure now.Not sure where he bought them from.Has anyone any ideas whats wrong.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The cheapo refill fits perfectly fine but the 888 doesn't?
You nailed it Steve....If it is a Rhodium kit purchased originally from me in my most recent purchase. It will take the stock refills or it will take Schmidt 5888 refills but not the Schmidt 888 (or at least not all
Schmidt 888s). I replace the 888s with 5888s on all of the kits I sold.

sbell111

So 888s are ever so slightly thicker at the nib end than 5888s and the plating thickness is interfering with their fitting?

If so, I would take a properly sized drill bit and gently ream out the part. Not everyone would be comfortable with this solution for fear that this would cause some sort of plating problems down the road. I'm not of this group as I have made similar modifications to many ballpoint pens over the years to allow Parker gels to be swapped into them and have never had a related problem reported.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
You are right, it would be a simple fix, and one guy did fix it that way, another just took the 888 held the end with a piece of sand paper and twisted a couple of times and it fit.

Top Bottom