Jr. Emperor vs Emperor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MobilMan

I've noticed most everyone makes the Jr. Emperor but not the other. Is the main reason the diameter? Yea, the price is somewhat higher but what's a few dollars after spending near that much for the Jr? Is it bulky like a Cigar? I've been thinking about getting two rollerballs. I personally like the Rhodium/Gold with solid color blanks. Saw one on the forum with a dark Buckeye Burl that was nice also. Just want to make a couple for my own satisfaction & would like to know you're thoughts. CSUSA will be at the Wooding Show in Tucson, Az the 9-10-11 of Nov. Hope they have the kits with them. Thanks all.......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

marcruby

I think the Emperor just looks too fat. It makes up into a heavy pen, as well. The Jr. is still a good sized pen. I think it looks a bit more elegant and appeals to a larger market segment.

Marc

Texatdurango

"I've noticed most everyone makes the Jr. Emperor but not the other"

In my case the opposite is true. In the past year I sold probably 2 dozen Emperors and probably 4 Jr Emperors. I have found that people who collect pens or use the larger desk pens don't mind the size, and many actually prefer the stockier pen.

Is it a large pen, yes but if you were to go to a pen show you would find pens that dwarf the Emperor!

I made an Emperor from Snakewood and was leary about selling it because of the cracking horror stories so decided to make it one of my personal pens. The pen below is my Emperor that slips into it's leather pouch and goes in my pocket everytime I leave the house. I prefer writing with this pen over any other I use so I guess it's a matter of personal preference so don't make a judgement because you don't see that many posted on the forum or displayed at the local craft show along with the slimlines.

If you visit my website, and look at the "capped pens" and "photo gallery" you will see a few Emperors in different material.

Also, don't count on Craft Supply bringing any kits with them to a wood show, I have never seen them bring kits. Instead, I would keep my eyes open on the forum for a group buy where you can get the 25% discounts.

Attachments

• emperor413.jpg
    emperor413.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

avbill

I have always preached Do not price your pens so you can buy them. So lets turn the idea around. Do not guess that a person wants in a pen. Some people like a heavy pens. some like a wider pens, other llike a slender pens. I personal like the Jr. Gentlemen, Jr Retro ,Baron size pen. But that's me. And I have a fairy large hand. I have tried the larger emperor pens and the balance in the hand does not feel right for me. Th choice of that size pen is personal.

Ligget

That is a real nice pen, I only make Jr Emperors as my buyers thing that the Emperor is too large.
Same is true with Jr Gent and Jr Statesman and their big brothers.

Texatdurango

That is a real nice pen, I only make Jr Emperors as my buyers thing that the Emperor is too large.
Same is true with Jr Gent and Jr Statesman and their big brothers.
I hear that a lot but have you ever thought about your next NEW buyer, you know, the one you have not met yet... and the one who likes big pens? :wink:

I made a few full size emperors but like most of you, I wasn't that wild about them and they didn't sell either. But, because I did make those few and post them on my website, a shopper happened upon my site, liked what he saw and the rest, over a dozen pens later, is history!

The thousands of dollars in orders from larger pens far outweighs the paultry few sales I have had with some of my smaller pens. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :biggrin:

MobilMan

Thanks for all the input. Really appreciated. Gonna give it some more thought. I'm just gonna make a couple for the sake of making them. The only handmade pens I've ever seen are Stevers [all great] and a few displayed at Woodcraft stores. Have made a few hundred pens and give a lot away & donated 50 not long ago, but have yet to sell one. Maybe someday--haven't really tried. Thanks again all.....

marionquill

The "normal" size Emperor is a monster! That thing is HUGE! I don't like it, it's just too darn big and if somebody orders a set with a pen box, unless you all know of a vendor that I don't, you'll have to make the insert yourself (I'm talking about the glass top pen boxes from PennStateInd that are made for the Majestics because CSUSA doesn't have a double case for emperor nor do they have a suitable large case like PennState) anyway, making it yourself is no fun in my book. I actually just sold a set last week to a gentleman in Washington State and he loves it so I'll continue to offer it if people ask- it really is about personal choice but if anybody asks me the difference, I'll tell them it's like writing with a baton vs writing with a pen.

Top Bottom