The Joys of Good Lighting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

nilsatcraft

I got to use the company photo studio on Friday and all of my pictures came out great. I used my own camera (Fuji Finepix S7000, 6.3 Megapixel) and was really pleased with the detail and what I could get from the pictures. The picture shown is pretty good but for a clearer picture, go to http://www.nilscreations.com/pages/DSCF2289_JPG.htm I got to spend some time on the computer this weekend and I updated a lot of websites and put up a lot of pictures. I don't have any amazing pens or anything but I've been having fun.
-Nils

2005314173811_Statesman.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tom McMillan

Wow, Nils, checked your link---A lot of very, very nice work!!! What do you use for a finish? Also, the one looks like segments of aluminum and white?? Can you tell us more about how you did it and what it's made of?

nilsatcraft

Thanks, guys. Tom- I use Master's Magic Sray Lacquer almost every time (including on this Statesman). As for the aluminum looking pen- which pen are you referring to? I haven't ever worked with aluminum but I have some on order right now and I'm excited to try it.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Wow Nils, that is beautiful! Of course you may lose a customer because now I am too depressed to continue turning as my work is no where near the quality of yours. (Not really, I'll get there one day!) Thanks for sharing.

smoky10

Originally posted by nilsatcraft
<br />Thanks, guys. Tom- I use Master's Magic Sray Lacquer almost every time (including on this Statesman). As for the aluminum looking pen- which pen are you referring to? I haven't ever worked with aluminum but I have some on order right now and I'm excited to try it.
Nils, I believe the one Tom meant was DSCF2300 in your album. I would like to know what it is made of also.

nilsatcraft

William- I just looked at your album and you obviously know exactly what you're doing- great stuff!
Tom(s) & Lou- That pen is an older version of celluloid that is no longer made. The photo makes it look a little different but it's really just standard celluloid, much like the celluloids that you can buy today. I just checked our warehouse and we don't have any more but it was called Ivory & Horn Celluloid- not tortoise. I've been thinking it was tortoise for some time but that's something else. I enjoy working with synthetic materials on occasion but wood is always my favorite.
Thanks to everyone for all the kind remarks.

Ligget

Beautiful pen Nils, excellent photo (colour/light)etc....My last picture had a background of grey cotton boxer shorts folded so you dont see the waist band, place said boxer shorts into wash hand basin in our bathroom, this gives a good alround light coming off white porcelain!
Even cleaned basin first to creat first class picture!!!!!!! LOL

Skordog

Nils,

Beautfil pen and picture. I think it should be used for the company's catalog next time around. [:D]

I have been playing around taking pictures myself recently with limited success. I had a friend at work take a number of pens to the college studio where he has been taking photography classes for the last few years. Even though he was using a $5,000 camera in a very nice studio he has not quite figured out closeup photography. Your picture blows away all the ones he did for me.

Nice job.

Jeff

Skordog

Nils, a couple of questions:

What type of wood is that? Walnut burl?

How do you apply the Masters Magic Spray Lacquer? Do you use the sealing sander first? Do you sand in between? Spray with lathe running?

Just curious because I have not yet read of anyone using a spray.

Jeff

nilsatcraft

Thanks again for all of the kind comments. The wood on this pen is called Amboyna Burl. It's awesome for turning and is really beautiful finished. To apply the spray lacquer, I start by sanding to 600 grit and then turn the lathe off. I then cover the threads and knurled knob on my mandrel with tape. I spray a little lacquer in the air to make sure it's coming out correctly and I then spray the length of the pen (spraying from left to right or vice versa) from four to six inches away, rotate the pen spray, rotate, spray, etc. until the pen is covered. The viscosity of the lacquer allows for some running, which is great to get the pen evenly covered. This can work against you if you're not careful. Too much spray will cause running, not enough will cause a dusty, gritty finish. Once you get the hanf of it, though, it's really easy. As soon as I'm done spraying I immediately start rotating the pen by hand, using the handwheel, for about five minutes to allow the lacquer to set. If you have a lathe that can drop down to 30 RPM or less, just do that. You can easily build up additional coats but I've found that one good coat really does the trick. It's amazingly durable, totally resists fading and fingerprints and you can give a glass like shine or a nice satin natural look (like on this pen). Starting today, actually, the Masters Magic Spray Lacquer is on sale to members of this group. Our webmaster should have a link up later today on the bottom of our site where members can login, using the word IAP and they'll have access to certain sale items. This link will say Pen Turners Club Members. Just let me know if there are any questions. Thanks again!

dougle40

Great looking pens and photo job Nils .
It really helps when the right equipment is available isn't it ?
I just wish that I still had all my product tents and set-ups . I did professional photography for quite a long time but all on normal film not digital . I've still got all my studio lights , stands , umbrellas , reflectors , cameras , lenses etc. but it's such a hastle to get everything out to do something small like a pen . I did get out a couple of copy stand brackets that I'm going to mount to a copy board and try to use that .

nilsatcraft

Thanks everyone. Serge- The spray does get on the bushings but you can either do some light sanding on them or just don't worry about it. I'm not the kind of guy who uses a micrometer on everything. If your worried about the spray buildup, though, just put some masking tape over the bushings before you spray. The same applies to friction polish or any other finish applied on the lathe.

Tropical

Very nice pen. Great photo. The silver top of the pen really jumped out at me when looking at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom