Jet or Tormek....? hmmmm....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

At the moment, I do not own a grinder (and do not want a dry grinder, I do not want sparks in house, I turn pens in a spare bedroom).

I have an el-cheapo Task force wet/dry grinder that really isn't all that useful.

I have learned to use my skew for 99.9% of my pen turning, and I use a cheap Harbor Freight diamond hone to resharpen it-- the same one for over a year now, and honestly I sharpen my skew twice as fast on it than most people do with a grinder. After every 20-50 pens I take the skew to work with me and reshape them on the grinder.

So far this has worked but I am considering the Tormek or Jet wet/dry grinders simply so I can turn more bowls and such without having to finaggle with the cruddy task force (though I can do it if needed).

The Jet is $100 cheaper. Is it $100 less machine? Do these machines really sharpen as nicely as the retailers claim them to? Do the stones last, or do they crumble like some friable wheels?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

drayman

well i have used both and found the tormek to be the best its better built, it feels more solid and the new model the tormek t7 comes with 7 years warrantywww.tormek.se just my opinion. regards colin.

Fred

For the Tormek here is a 'new' diamond wheel that solves some of the grey wheel stone wheel.

http://www.t-jtools.co.uk/products.htm I am currently awaiting some additional information from him (the manufacturer). The concept is quite intriguing to me as a Tormek user and I felt others might like to know about the wheel. The current price is £160.00 and I have no idea what that converts to here in the U.S. (hint to our across the pond friends)

The tool review given above by Dario )BTW, thanks for the link) is a really thorough review of both the Tormek and the Jet sharpening systems. Additional reviews are available from the home page and are rather interesting to read as well. [:D]

great12b4ever

I have a few friends that own the Jet sharpener, and all but one of them have bought the Tormek jigs instead of using the Jet jigs. It appears they are interchangeable, but they like the Tormek better. I couldn't say myself as I use the Tormek.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom