Jet Pen Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daddy1

I have my I on the jet mini lathe but can't quite afford that yet. I need something temporarily to make pens. Any thoughs on the Jet Pen lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

negid

You may try craigslist for a lathe. I got my Jet mini for $150 brand new. It just had a damaged box. Just a thought before you go buy a jet pen lathe that will have to be replaced if you do anything besides pens.

And I think others on here have tried it and didn't like it.

jcollazo

It will make a pen... it's just a lathe that has a single basic purpose. If you have another lathe and plan on using this for traveling, then it would work out. As a primary lathe, you could outgrow it pretty quickly. BTW, I saw on Sears website where they have an identical twin of the JPL. IIRC, that goes for $136.

Randy_

HavIng owned a JPL, I feel comfortable in saying your money would be better spent on a different machined "UNLESS" you have a strong need for an extremely compact lathe. Secondly, they have been discontinued for some time now and are very difficult to find. IMO, the money would be better spent on the Wilton which can be had for the same or less money than the JPL. Check out Amazon,com.

mrcook4570

I also once owned a JPL aka POS. Don't waste your money. I have also owned a Wilton. While it is much better than the JPL, it still leaves a lot to be desired. I would save for the Jet mini. You get what you pay for.

Keep your eye on amazon.com. They sometimes have some crazy prices. A few months ago, I bought a Delta midi for $120 which included free shipping. I have not used it, so I do not know how it is compared to a Jet mini.

A couple of other intriguing options are available from Grizzly. They have a Jet mini clone for $169. They also have a General Maxi VS close for $375.

RonInSpringTX

I've had a Jet mini var. speed for over a year & have loved it!!! very precise. I've also got a 48" wood lathe, but only do bigger stuff on it. I'd recommend the Jet!!!

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
My opinion, for what it is worth , would be dont waste money on a cheap POS, just buy the Jet and be ahead in the long run, WAY ahead.

Daddy1

I am convinced, I will just "cool my heals" and wait to get the Jet Lathe. It is killing me to just sit and wait but I agree it is best to buy the jet and not have to worry about having to upgrade anytime soon.
I just got my casting kit from Woodturningz yesterday. I guess that will have to wait.:(:(

scotirish

Kevin I have a Jet Pen Lathe and used it for many years. I was very happy with it. Several days ago I went to my local Woodcraft Store and broke down, in a moment of senior senility, an bought a Rikon. It was the only one they had. Since then I have turned more pens than in the previous week. My advice is to NOT :( buy one! Wait till you can afford the mini lathe. The difference is like breathing air or CO.
Happy pen turning!!!! :D

Daddy1

Scotirish,

I am glad you mentioned that. The same thing almost happened to me. I went to my local Woodcraft store and they tried to sell me on the Rikon. Since is was cheaper I almost bit. I am staying with the Jet thanks for the heads up.

Top Bottom