Jet Mini Tailstock not working

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carole in VA

The thing will no longer wind in or out when I turn the wheel. Any ideas? Please bear in mind that you are dealing with a mechanically challenged person!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

Try a little push manually while turning the wheel.
Either that or the set screw in the wheel has loosened.
It happened to me the other day.

Carole in VA

It will wind in and out until it meets any resistance then the spindle just spins instead of moving in or out. I cannot eject the live center or tighten it down on a work piece. I am assuming that the slot in the spindle is suppose to engage something to keep it from spinning but I can't see what. The set screw you mentioned is tight.

Travlr7

Hi Carole:

On the outside of the tailstock there is a handle. On the spindle there is a slot. For the tail stock to work, the screw on the handle must be inside of that slot. This keeps the from spinning and allows the threading mechanism work.

I hope this helps. I sometimes unscrew the screw too far and everything spins instead of tightening, so, when you turn the handle, if you see the slot rotate around, align it with the screw and tighten the screw a little, till the slot stops rotating.

Bruce[;)]

Carole in VA

Originally posted by Travlr7
<br />Hi Carole:

On the outside of the tailstock there is a handle. On the spindle there is a slot. For the tail stock to work, the screw on the handle must be inside of that slot. This keeps the from spinning and allows the threading mechanism work.

I hope this helps. I sometimes unscrew the screw too far and everything spins instead of tightening, so, when you turn the handle, if you see the slot rotate around, align it with the screw and tighten the screw a little, till the slot stops rotating.

Bruce[;)]
Duh! Sometimes I think half of my brain is missing. I was peering inside looking for some kind of rectangular key on the interior that slid into the slot, not even thinking about the release screw. I really have a mental block (deficiency?)when it comes to the least thing mechanical! [:I] Thanks, Bruce.

opfoto

Chances are pretty good if you get an answer to help solve a problem, someone has "been there, done that!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom