Jet Mini - Oh No!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawdustier

I was teaching my daughter to turn a pen this weekend and when she got to the sanding part I left for a bit (well someone had to check on Christmas dinner) when she came running to get me. She said it made a light "popping" noise then a big pop so she turned it off. When I went to turn the lathe back on, the motor would run but it wouldn't spin. If you give it a twist with your hand, it starts up OK. I've checked manual and found no troubleshooting guide :( Anyone have any ideas as to what went wrong? I could probably order a new part but don't know which one.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wpenm

The first thing that comes to mind is the drive belt. Have you checked to see if it is ok? I bumped the tension lever with my knee and the belt slipped and made some funny noises.

micah

Sounds to me like your starting capacitor.
I had a friend that told me that is what happened to his and that he could turn the wheel and it would start to go as well.
You might check that out for sure.
Micah

Sawdustier

First thing I checked was the belt and it seemed OK.
I checked out the manual and the capacitor is listed in available parts but not shown on the diagram. I'm mechanically inclined but much better at making sawdust. With those facts in mind, is this something I can replace myself (assuming I can find it) or am I going to have to take it to one of those overpriced repair shops? It's only a year old and seems to me it had a 2 year warranty but don't think I ever sent in registration card.
BTW does anyone think it will hurt the lathe further if I was to continue to use it like this?

Thumbs

Shirley, The capacitor is normally easily replaced if you can solder or crimp wiring connectors. Securing a new capacitor is also simple if you have an electical contractors supply house available. (Easily found in the Yellow Pages.) It is a special type of electrolytic capacitor for use on AC systems. It is normally located on the side of the motor itself under a metal shell. You should remove the shell and get the rating and size of the capacitor. If you can remove the capacitor and take it to the supplier you should, that way you can be sure to get the proper physical characteristics as well as the size and voltage requirements.[:)]

clewless

Assuming the belt is ok, and you want to remove the capacitator to have it checked/replaced. <b>Unplug lathe</b>, loosen belt from lower drive, remove tail stock and tool rest to lighten the weight, lay lathe on its back so base is facing you. Unscrew the nylon clips holding the wire to the frame. This will give you some working room.

There are two bolts holding the motor on the frame. Remove them and the motor will be free, it weighs about 10 lbs. The capacitator is in the "bump" on the outside of the case. Remove screws to expose capacitator. (Capacitators hold electrical charges and can give a major shock if you touch both leads without dissipating the charge by grounding the leads on some metal object.) There are wire nuts connecting the capacitator to the motor leads. Remove and replace as needed.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom