Jet Mini Lathe questions - Model JML-1014VSI

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tpa-two

Hello. I am brand new to this forum and to woodworking. Based on the recommendations I saw here and from some fellow penturners I decided the Jet Mini Lathe would be my best choice so I purchased one. However, after opening the box I found that my unit had a damaged tailstock. Nothing too serious, or at least I hope not, but that is where I need some expertise from some of you. There is a 3/4" finger (for lack of a better word) about the size of a pencil eraser that is off the back side of the tailstock. This has been broken off flush with the tailstock. What I was wanting to know was how significant is this piece and what will I sacrifice without having it? Also would any one happen to have an extra owners manual for this unit? I would even be willing to pay for it if someone has one they could part with.

Thanks for your help and I look forward to learning more about this great hobby in the near future.

Have a nice day,
Ted

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darley

could you add a photo of the damaged piece? personaly I would call Jet and send a copy of the photo for a replacement part, lathe should come with out crack(s) or fault. anothe things check the alignement of the tail stock to the head stock. BTW have no problem with my mini Jet for 4 1/2 years and I love the little baby ;) HTH

BruceA

Ted,
The piece that broke off is the speed turner "handle" - you hold onto it and spin the Handwheel to quickly rotate closer or further from the headstock. That's a threaded piece and must have gotten whacked off during shipment.

Look at the manual parts 55 and 56, the Handwheel and Handle parts are what you need.

I just got my Jet 1014VSi a couple weeks ago.

tpa-two

Thank you everyone for your help with these two matters. I am glad to be part of a chat room where some many people are out there willing to help out. As I mentioned earlier, I am just now getting into this and I am sure I will have several more questions as I get more into this hobby.

Thanks again...........

Top Bottom