Jet mini knocking noise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rmartin

My Jet mini lathe has been making a knocking noise. It doesn't seem to effect the operation, and I'm not getting out of round turnings. When I turn it by hand, I can hear a slight 'knock' sound, and when turned on, it's constant. I've looked through the manual, but can't find anything of help. Has anyone had this happen, or know what might be causing the problem?

Thanks,
Rmartin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Mine did that, a few months back while turning Freedom Pens at the local library, a fellow turner heard it and said to tighten up the pulley set screw. It stopped the noise.

Evidentally the pulley had moved over a bit and a part of it was hitting the frame every time it came around.

tnilmerl

Check you pulley set screw first. If that's not it, try to locate exactly where the noise is originating (Headstock/upper-lower, etc). It could be the bearings. While rare, it does happen.

Also check other items like your knock out bar. Had a student leave the knock out bar in the headstock while it was running. While this is not your problem, check for other loose items, such as loose bolts on your stand, etc..

Rmartin

Thanks to your help, I fixed the problem. One of the set screws (there are two) had come loose. I took the hand wheel off, cleaned and lubricated, and replaced it while tightening both screws. It's like I have a new quiet lathe. Yatta!

Rmartin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom