Jet Mini Dead

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

splinter99

Its been a very busy season..Still have a bunch more stuff I need to make..Just got a big delivery of kits, etc from Woodturningz..Took this weekend off to get everything done..Got started tonight right after work and after about 30 minutes of turning..the lathe died..
Its not the switch....I have replaced 3 so far on the jet 1014..I got fed up with changing out switches so I just jumpered the wires to an outlet box with a 15 amp light switch..worked great for the last year or so..

A couple of times it did this before,,over heated and shut off..usualy you just let it cool down and its fine..this time it came back on for a few seconds and quit again,,Its completely cool now and still nothing..I have power going from the switch..I blew out the motor with compressed air..cleared all chips and saw dust from around the motor..

I think the motor has a 3 year gaurentee but Im not sure..probably wont be able to find out untill Monday

Has anyboby else had this problem? Any suggestions to try?

How difficult is it to swap out the motor? how long does it usually take to get a replacement?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pipecrafter

I vote capacitor. I had one blow on a Jet 1hp grinder a few years back. I called Jet, told them the capacitor died, and they sent me a new one free of charge. After replacement, that grinder has been running for 4+ years with no problem.

The motors in the lathe are similar. No brushes, and a capacitor is an easy replacement.

jttheclockman

Piece of cake. Once you look at it you will see for yourself. Call Jet and tell them it went bad and see how they want to handle it. Alot cheaper than a motor. You can also check brushes as Daniel said.

DozerMite

Banned
My capacitor fried and when I called Jet, they wanted me to purchase a new motor, when I received the new motor I was suppossed to put the old one in the box and put the preprinted label on it and ship it back prepaid.
I called the store I bought the lathe from and they had me a warranty replacement in two days at no charge at all. And I still have the old motor.

Randy_

Older Jets have a 2 year warranty and the newer ones have a 5 year warranty. They changed the length of the warranty about a year ago maybe a little more......not sure exactly when??

If you have the VS model, it could be the brushes that are worn out. If you have the non-VS model it might be the start capacitor that is bad. It is the component that is under the bump on the motor. That is about a 10 minute job to fix and you should be able to buy a capacitor locally for about 10 bucks. (You will need to know the electrical rating of the capacitor which you will be able to find printed on the capacitor if it is not too badly damaged. If you can't read the specs on yours, let me know and I will see if i can read them on mine.) Take off the cover and see if the capacitor looks "smoked." If the start capacitor is bad, the motor might hum a little and the spindle might vibrate a little when you turn the power on. You should be able to turn the spindle by hand and get the motor to run if it is only the start capacitor.

Some electrical motors also have run capacitors. Not sure if the little JET motor does or not.

Bad start capacitors is a common problem and is your most likely problem.

Top Bottom