Jet mini bed extension

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carole in VA

Anyone else had any problems with the bed extension? The holes for the bolts do not line up correctly and the ways (is that the right term?) are slightly thicker on the extension, which means that when the washer is set loose enough to clamp on the extension, it is too loose to clamp on the main part of the bed and if set so it clamps on the main bed, it will not slide onto the extension. I got both of these at the same time from Amazon, but had not tried to set up the extension until tonight and I am really aggravated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jwoodwright

Love my older Jet, had to have New VS. Got it and the extension. Instructions were of little help. Bolts loosly threaded, clamp tailstock on joint, tighten bolts...

15 minutes with a Mill file and I removed the offending piece of casting that projected out... [:p]

Filed inside edges of joint, smoother transition... [:I]

Expected better from Jet. [:I]

Carole in VA

Originally posted by Gary
<br />Carole, that doesn't sound right. I suggest you call Jet in the morning.
I am going to do that. The distances between centers on the holes in the extension and the holes on the lathe differ by 3/32"

Carole in VA

Originally posted by jwoodwright
<br />Love my older Jet, had to have New VS. Got it and the extension. Instructions were of little help. Bolts loosly threaded, clamp tailstock on joint, tighten bolts...
[:I]
Yeah, they don't even mention the 4 set screws at all. I just backed them all the way off. I guess you are suppose to tighten them while the tailstock is still clamped across the joint and after you tighten the big screws.

Chuck C

I seem to recall on one of these forums that there was a $14 kit you needed on some of the older JET mini's to use the extension. It had the serial numbers identified that required the kit. Check Amazon also, it could have been there. My brain is loosing that kind of information. I'll look around after I leave.

Chuck C

Found it quicker than I thought.

Mini lathes produced before June 1, 2001, serial number 105XXXX and lower require an additional retro kit - JET stock # 708357, to complete the bed extension

Chuck C

Sorry for so many replies but I don't know how to edit the first one. Any way go here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000063XIC/102-8078791-2032922?v=glance

Halfway down the page you can download the reference supplementary pdf and it explains it there.

I just figured the editing out, sorry everybody.

Travlr7

I have "an older" Jet mini. I also bought the bed extention. I haven't added it yet, but was told that I needed the retro kit. That is because you need to drill holes in the main unit. It containes a Drill Bit, a template, and screws. I'm about ready to install it, hope it goes better for me.

Bruce

Carole in VA

I just got the lathe and the bed extension in December. Have not looked at the SN but unless Amazon is shipping outdated stuff, it should not need any sort of retrofitting!

jwoodwright

Carol, they talking about the Older Jet I have, there wasn't an extension available years ago...

Oh, I raised the rear of the extension higher than required and bolted it together, seemed to settle into position better. Still had to file some rough areas. One was on the front (mating) suface of the extension... [:)]

Carole in VA

Called Jet. They are sending a new extension. At first, they said I needed the kit, but when I told them the lathe already had the holes and was just bought in Dec. they said the new extension should solve the problem. I am a little skeptical, but we shall see. They don't want the old iron back...he said use it as a boat anchor. Guess I'll have to buy a boat to use my new anchor! [;)]

Gary

Originally posted by Carole in VA
<br />Called Jet. They are sending a new extension. At first, they said I needed the kit, but when I told them the lathe already had the holes and was just bought in Dec. they said the new extension should solve the problem. I am a little skeptical, but we shall see. They don't want the old iron back...he said use it as a boat anchor. Guess I'll have to buy a boat to use my new anchor! [;)]

I have a workshop full of Jet tools, and I have always gotten excellent service from them. I hope the new extention works for you.

jwoodwright

Carol,
Must be someone in the area that has the older model (w/o holes)...

They could make a template of the end holes, drill theirs and have an extension...

Your call on what you trade...[:)]

Travlr7

Hi Carole............. Are your ears burning? They should be. Just got done mounting my bed extention to my Jet Mini. As you might recall, Mine is one of the old lathes that required the retro kit.

I drilled the holes with the template, put it together, NO MATCH .....[V] The Ways were off top to bottom and left to right.[:(!] Took it apart and redrilled with a larger bit........ to allow me to line things up.[:(]

Used the tail stock to try and get things aligned. Got it close. [:p]Finally had to use a file to make the final fit. It's ok now. Should have been a better fit![xx(]

Bruce[;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom