Jet Mini ???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandking

I received a Jet Mini for my birthday a couple of months ago. I noticed that the large dial on the outside of the tail stock wobbles. Is this normal. It's as if is isn't sitting properly. My pens are coming out ok (a little bit proud on one side) but I get them down.

I thought at first I had a bent mandrel so I bought a new one. if you turn it on without the tailstock attached it doesn't spin true.

What could be the cause? how do I test the runout on a lathe? I have a dial indicator.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

The dial on the outside of the tailstock? Do you mean the outer part of the center? Is the point running true. use your indicator close to the point and spin the center, if it is running true your center is ok. The outside is not always a tell-tail sign. The other thought is that your center point may be bottoming out in the mandrel before it 'seats' on the taper. I found with my stock center I had to take the point of a small amount to allow the tapers to meet.

leatherjunkie

there is a allen head screw on that wheel. check the tightness it may be loose.
also make sure the belt pulleys are tight. i had a jet mini that the pulleys were loose and it caused the bearings to go out. it was my first lathe and i had no idea about this problem

Randy_

Originally posted by leatherjunkie
<br />there is a allen head screw on that wheel.....

Actually, there two allen screws that hold the hand wheel on. And note that the wheel needs to be snugged up against the outboard face of the headstock. To tight and you will cause extra drag on the spindle which will be hard on the motor. And too loose will allow the spindle to move back and forth, laterally. Not sure what sort of a problem that might cause, if any; but it would be better to get it right.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Randy_
<br />
Originally posted by leatherjunkie
<br />there is a allen head screw on that wheel.....

Actually, there two allen screws that hold the hand wheel on. And note that the wheel needs to be snugged up against the outboard face of the headstock. To tight and you will cause extra drag on the spindle which will be hard on the motor. And too loose will allow the spindle to move back and forth, laterally. Not sure what sort of a problem that might cause, if any; but it would be better to get it right.
Randy-
note in the original post he said tail stock

Randy_

That's true eagle; but if you had read the whole thread, more carefully, you would have seen that it was a mistake and was corrected in a later post!!

Sandking said:
no I mean the big wheel on the headstock. You put the knock out bar through it to tap out the mandrel.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Randy_
<br />That's true eagle; but if you had read the whole thread, more carefully, you would have seen that it was a mistake and was corrected in a later post!!

Sandking said:
no I mean the big wheel on the headstock. You put the knock out bar through it to tap out the mandrel.

(Gilda Radner voice on)
NEVER MIND
(Glida Radner voice off)[;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom