JET Live Center Point???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

Some guy with a beard and dressed in a red suit just left a big package on my front door step!! Once opened, it turned out to be a brand new JET mini lathe......$199 special from Craft USA!!!

Question.....the live center has a point that is very sharp...maybe 30° included angle. Great for the end of a wooden spindle; but when this point goes in the dimple on the end of a steel pen mandrel, I expect it will get deformed pretty quickly. I suppose I could grind this one down a bit and buy another point from JET for other work. Haven't taken the point out yet so don't know if I could cobble up something from the shop to work as an alternative. Anyone have a suggestion??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Cool Randy, I must be talking to the wrong Santa, I should get his number from you. Enjoy your new lathe, sorry can't help you on the pointy thing. Anthony

Fred in NC

Randy: www.grizzly.com has a heavy duty one.
www.littlemachineshop.com has the same heavy duty one, and a regular one, which is the one I use in the Jet. The heavy duty one is longer, because it has two bearings instead of one.

Travlr7

Evenin' Randy;

What I did when I started to turn pens was go to Woodcraft and get a replacement tip for about $1.95. Once the one I was using for turning pens got worn down, it became my pen turning center and I use the new one for other turning.

Bruce[;)]

Randy_

Originally posted by Travlr7
<br />Evenin' Randy;

What I did when I started to turn pens was go to Woodcraft and get a replacement tip for about $1.95. Once the one I was using for turning pens got worn down, it became my pen turning center and I use the new one for other turning.

Bruce[;)]
Bruce:

I looked all thru the Woodcraft catalog and couldn't find anything like what you are describing. Have you seen these points recently or am I missing something?? Thanks.

wayneis

The live center that came with your Jet is the recommended one for mandrels unless they have made a change lately. Mine came with a 60 degree although not very good quality it should last you quite a while if you don't tighten the tail stock down to tight.

Wayne

Fred in NC

Woodcraft sells the live center with replaceable tips. That is the same live center that comes with the Jet Mini, for spindle turning of WOOD. But I have never seen the tips sold separately. I think they are of a softer material, or they would not wear out so soon.

For about $12 one can get the correct live center. That is a better option in the long run.

Randy_

Dale:

Thanks. You know, I read that thread; but for some reason it didn't register that It was going to be my problem as well as that of every "penner" who uses the JET mini.

I've been using a JET Pen Lathe that I picked up at a garage sale; but was unhappy because it wouldn't conveniently handle a "B" mandrel and the customer support I got was less than stellar. Thought I would get away from those issues; but appartently not. Should have bought an American made tool!!!

Fred in NC

Your lathe has a #0 Morse taper. It is not easy to get centers that fit it.

I understand that the Sherline metal lathe uses #0 Morse taper in the tailstock. A live center costs $35.

http://www.tascione.com/sherlineaccessorpg/1191pg.htm

btboone

Also try http://www.mscdirect.com If they don't have it, you don't need it. Their catalog is no less than 4 1/2" thick. I order everything from them.

Fred in NC

Oh, sorry! I checked, and yes, that is what you mentioned at the beginning of the thread !! Congrats on your new lathe. Both tapers are #2, which is very common.

Big mistake by Jet.... A slightly larger lathe with # 1 tapers would have been a good machine for pens and a good seller for them.

I have a Jet Mini too, and I am very happy with it. Look at my photo album for a pic of the cabinet and DC motor in it.

Randy_

Originally posted by Fred in NC
<br />.....I understand that the Sherline metal lathe uses #0 Morse taper in the tailstock. A live center costs $35.
Thanks, Fred; but it's kinda hard to spend that much on a machine that only costs $99 on eBay.

Randy_

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />The live center that came with your Jet is the recommended one for mandrels unless they have made a change lately. Mine came with a 60 degree although not very good quality.....

Wayne: The point mine came with is about 30°!!!

Doghouse

Randy,

That is a common problem. It looks like most of the lathes are shipping the same pos live center. I burnt my first one out and replace it with the grizzly style from woodcraft. (prob the same one) It works much better and can handle larger spindle work as well. Only problem is that you will also need to get some sort of a cup center as that only has the point. If you want to spend your money only once, get one of the better ones that have both the cup and point which are threaded on. Yes they are a bit more money, but if you intend to do bowls in your future, you will appreciate the difference.

Travlr7

OK Folks, Here is a picture of what I was talking about.

2004121020614_Live%20Center.jpg
<br />

The bottom item is the live center that arrived with My Jet Mini, about two years ago.

In the center is the tip I use for Pen turning - I did find out that you DON'T want to tighten it down too much on the mandrel as you can bend the mandrel and really wear down the tip. This tip has turned over 200 pens and 10 Kaleidescopes.

The top item is the new tip I use for other turning. The Woodcraft SKU is 332 815333 and Jets' number is JML-52A at a cost of $1.99 ea. A lot cheeper than $20.00; at least in MHO.

Hope this clears it up.

Bruce[:(]

Randy_

Thanks for all of the good tips. You guys are great!!!

Bruce:

I just got finished looking at the JET site for replacement parts. Guess I should have done that first thing?? They do have the replacement points and they are actually only $1.54. But......the only shipping option is UPS ground and their order page calculated the postage as $19.95 for a single point.....WOW!!!!!! It only cost me $35 to ship the whole darn lathe?????

I just emailed their customer service people to see if they can help. My past experience with JET cust/serv has been uninspiring..... hope I have better luck this time[?][?]

Travlr7

If you can wait a couple of days, I'll send you one, I have an extra! Won't cost you anything. That way you can Call up Woodcraft and see what they'll do, or get an answer from Jet.

Just email me your address. (Drop the "_"'s from this) M_H_Woodturning@Hotmail.com

Bruce[;)]

William Young

Bev;
Is your tip not worn some? I have only done about 100 pens and some other mandrel stuff and mine has quite a ridge worn in the point where it goes into the end of the mandrel and I just 'snug' it up to the end of the mandrel. I am turning a lot of bowls and boxes and such so I want to stay with a centre with the cup . I am looking for a reasonably priced replacement tip for my present live centre because there is nothing wrong with the bearing so why buy a whole new live centre.
W.Y.

Randy_

Originally posted by Bev Polmanteer
<br />.....use it until it needs replacing, then worry about it!

Bev: You are probably correct; but with my luck I'll lose the little bugger right in the middle of an important job so even if wear turns out not to be a problem, I would feel better about having a spare around!!

Randy_

Originally posted by Travlr7
<br />If you can wait a couple of days, I'll send you one, I have an extra! Won't cost you anything. That way you can Call up Woodcraft and see what they'll do, or get an answer from Jet.
Just email me your address. (Drop the "_"'s from this) M_H_Woodturning@Hotmail.com Bruce[;)]

Bruce: That is a very generous offer and is much appreciated!!! Turns out the local Woodcraft store stocks the points for $2.00. They are not a catalog item which is what caused me trouble. I have never visited the store as there is a Rockler store very close to me; but this will be a good excuse to make a visit!! Maybe William would like to have that point.....he is in Canada and it is probably much harder for him to get parts.

BTW, if you haven't, take a look at his web site.....he does some very nice work.....check out his "big clock."

Thanks again[:D]

William Young

We have neither Woodcraft or Rockler stores in Canada so if anyone could supply me with a part # from either one and a phone number I could order a couple to have on hand and have them sent to my USA PO box just over the border.

Randy;
Thanks for the compliment on my album site.
W.Y.

Randy_

William:

Turns out my local Rockler store doesn't carry them. Am waiting to hear from Woodcraft as to whether they can be mail ordered. I can get them from the local Woodcraft store; but it is not really convenient for me to visit if I can find an alternative.

I will keep you informed of my inquiries.

Randy_

Woodcraft responded with the info that they do not sell the points from their Internet site; but they may be available from individual stores. JET replied that they would reduce the shipping charge on points from $19.95 to $9.95.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom