Jet lathe issues

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MuddyWater

My jet mini lathe will not start. It seems to be an electrical problem, because when I flip the switch, nothing happens. So, I an thinking the swithc may have gone bad. Either that or it is a problem with the motor. Not sure what else it could be. Does anyone else have any suggestions. I know the power cord is okay and getting electricity okay. So, my thinking is the swithch may have gone bad. Does anyone know how I would be able to test the swith with a volt meter to see if it is bad?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

john l graham

Several have had switch problems with the Jet latrly. Most all I have heard of have gottens replacements from Jet. Some decided to just upgrade to a better switch. Good Luck. John

DustyDenim

My father has the variable speed Jet Mini Lathe and replaced the switch back in the fall after just a little over 2 years of owning it. He picked up a switch at a local auto parts store and kept on turning after installing it. You could test your old switch using the continuity option on your voltmeter. When you consider how many times we turn the lathes on and off, it is no wonder they go out. Fred.

fiferb

I've had my Jet mini VS for about 3 years and have replaced the switch twice. Very easy to do. I got my replacement at a local electrical supply store. I'm sure there are less expensive options.

turkey-slayer

Some Jet mini owners have had problems with the on/off switch going bad. I have had my Jet lathe at least 7 years and have not had to change the switch on mine so far. The switch gets a lot of abuse since we turn it on and off many while using it. The way I handled the problem about turning the switch on/off is by leaving it turned on constantly and just plugging it up in a good power strip outlet. When I go to using the lathe I just turn on the power strip where it controls my lathe power. The power strip is right next to my Jet mini and also controls several other tools in my shop. But changing the power switch on the Jet mini lathe should not be a problem if you have to do it.

MuddyWater

It looks easy enough to do. There are just three screws holding it in and then there are four wires attached to the back. Should be a pretty simple fix, once I locate a new switch today. I need to get it back up, as I was getting ready to work on a pen last night for a customer.

The Jet switch is a multipart rocker switch... there's a little brass piece that has a tendency to slip.. it's relatively simple to take the switch out and check to see if the part has slipped.

Alternative problem could be the start capaciter in the motor.

MuddyWater

It was the rocker switch. Took it in today and picked up a new one for just a few dollars, whereas, Jet wanted about $16 on the website last night. Anyway, I am back in business.

Top Bottom