Jet and Delta owner ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I am looking at the Jet 1220 vs and the Delta 46-460 and I must say I like the Delta the best but, I have heard more and more stories that getting any parts for the Delta is next to impossible.
My question is what problems you have had with either of the lathes, how long have you owned and how long did it take to get it fixed. I have seen where people say it has been 8 months since a problem with the Delta and it still is not fixed because they can not get parts.
I appreciate any input you can give.
Thanks
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Since I have not had any problems of late, I have no recent experience with trying to get parts/service for my Delta 46-460. I have a lot of Delta tools, so I would be very interested to know if there is a problem, should the need arise. Anyone having problems out there?
Steve

PenMan1

Delta parts for the 46-460 are actually quicker NOW than Jet parts.

Both of the lathes you are considering are quality lathes and it would be a "toss up" for me between the 2.

I have a 46-460 and a Jet 1013VSI. The Delta is hands down my favorite, because of the extra power AND because the belt change is located in the front on the Delta. Belt change on the 1014 requires that the lathe be located away from a wall, because the belt change is in the rear.

dtswebb

Mike,

I have a Delta 46-460 and have been using it for two years. I have not expereinced any issue with the lathe and an very satisfied with its performance and durability.

I agree with Andy - changing the belt pulleys is quick and effortless.

I would not hesitate in recommending the 46-460 to anyone looking for a good lathe.

Matthew

toyotaman

I've had my Delta 46-460 for about 3yrs now with no problems. I have heard of some problems with the on/off switch but that should be resolved by now. I would go with the Delta.

Greg Green

Mike, I've had the 46-460 for almost a year now, I've got two friends who have gotten one each since as then as well, absolutely no issues with any of them, highly recommended!

Greg

PenMan1

I've had my Delta 46-460 for about 3yrs now with no problems. I have heard of some problems with the on/off switch but that should be resolved by now. I would go with the Delta.

The newer 46-460, since January 2012 has a new switch. It seems like a better switch that the earlier model.

FWIW: my 5 year old Jet 1014VSI is on its 7th switch. No big deal as I have found a "lugged" switch at Ace Harware for less than $3.

ALA

I bought the Delta last Nov. Haven't had any problems so far. I've been well pleased with it.

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who responded, I placed an order at Amazon for the Delta and saved $85.00 from what I could buy locally. The lathe was $20.00 cheaper and with the sales tax savings and free shipping it was as good a deal as I could find.
Mike

moke

I have owned a 46-460 for 2 or three years now. I had an issue early on with it being co-planar. The place I bought it took a tail-stock off the floor model and traded me. I have never had an issue since.

I talked with the Delta sales rep in April at an "open house" the local tool store had.
I specifically asked him what the sales and new parts situation is since the sale of their company. He eluded to the fact that there were some issues, but
thought," They are almost all taken care of. After trying to pin him down as to what that meant, there are a very few select items that are still hard to get while most others are no issue at all and come rather quickly. He wasn't specific as to which ones were hard to get. I see him there every six months and I will continue to ask him that question.

carpblaster

started witht the jet, then got the delta,a world of difference, Delta is number one turning,jet is set at slow speed for drilling and slow finishing,you cant go wrong with the delta, no problems at all

Top Bottom