Jet 1236 engine problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gpgsm

I'm sad, the engine of my lathe Jet has stopped working.

If I try to turn the lathe takes a short-circuit.

I tried to change the power button, and condensers but the problem is internal to the engine.

The lathe has 6 months of life, unfortunately I do not use it many hours per day.

My dealer says that the warranty does not cover the engine.

In Italy the repair costs 180 euros and the new engine costs 240 euros.

I did not find on-line shops of spare parts.

You have you any suggestions?

Thank you

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

marcruby

This is the second time I've heard of problems getting support in other countries. I would certainly demand that someone show you the specific exclusion of the motor from the warrantee.

I suspect that you could find a usable replacement motor elsewhere, but I don't know if it would be much cheaper. Worth looking into, though.

Marc

MobilMan

gpgsm Go to the link TxTurner has in his thread about Jet, It has their warranty right at the first of it. Nothing said about 'not' warranting the motor.

boxxmaker

I am not knocking your country,but whoever you are dealing with over there are a bunch of crap.I took it upon myself to contact jet and was told that everything on that lathe is covered under the warranty.Like already said call the company direct and give them the name of the dealer that you purchased it from and I am sure you will get covered.Jet has a fantastic rep for taking care of its custumers.I know folks that have even gotten replacement parts on lathes that were out of warranty.Sorry for the rant ,but people like that just tick me off.Good luck and I hope you get it taken care of.

PS. Sorry but I just reread your post an saw where you changed elect parts.IMPORTANT,DO NOT change any elect parts and if you have,put the old parts back on and make sure all original parts are on it if you have to return it.As that can an will give them a excuse to TOTALY void the waranty.

Last edited:
Jet has a fantastic rep for taking care of its custumers.I know folks that have even gotten replacement parts on lathes that were out of warranty.

Massimo,
I will vouch for Jet... I had a problem with the tailstock quill bolt getting thread stripped because I was using the tailstock to drill peppermill and putting a lot of pressure on the bolt... my lathe is over 5 years old and well out of warranty. I called Jet about the problem and they immediately - without any questions - sent me a whole new tailstock quill and quill bolt.

And just this last week, I was having problems with noise and a rattling sound in my new lathe .. a Jet 1442 that I got in March... I called Jet tech service and talked with a tech rep who said it sounded like bearings... new bearings arrived the next day.

Definitely call them direct and I'm sure they will replace your motor.

Last edited:

dwdwoodwork

It sounds like the motor is shorting out. Take off the belt and turn it on . If that works ok then turn the spinble with you hand . If it turns ruff the spindle bearing are bad.

Dom

don't burn one turn one

jerickson

I too vouch for JET. Call them directly. They are very helpful and don't hesitate to help. I am having vibration issues with my JET 1220 and they are taking very good care of me until the problem is solved. I even have the phone number and extension of the technician who is helping me so that I don't need to explain everything every time I call.

Randy_

I think some folks have overlooked the very important point that this lathe is located in Rome, Italy.

For a start, I doubt Massimo is going to be able to hop on the JET 800 number and talk to a Jet technician.

Secondly, warranty standards may be very different in Italy than they are in the US so criticizing the local dealer without knowledge of Italian law may be a little premature.

And finally, Europe and probably Italy, as well, has a different electrical standard than the US so it is probable that the "engine" in the lathe we are discussing is quite different from what is in yours and mine. And that might affect the warranty situation as well.

I had a friend in Australia who had a problem with his JET including a metric thread on the HS spindle that he wanted to identify. I called the home office for JET in the USA and they didn't know anything. The technician I talked to seemed to think there was a totally different organization that sold JET tools to Europe and Australia.

If someone out there wants to take the time to call Jet for Massimo and get a little better idea of the situation, it might prove to be more productive than the speculative responses that have been offered to date.

Last edited:

gpgsm

Sorry for the absence,

I thank you for the many answers.

But in fact it would be difficult for me to call in America and make me understand:-D

However, the dealer Italian JET says that the engine does not change me for any reason.

So I decided to do regenerate and should be ready in a few days.

Thank you all for assistance

Randy_

Massimo:

Your last message is quite confusing. I think your English has let you down.

Perhaps you could try the message again, or post your comment in Italian and we can use one of the Internet interpreters so get a better understanding of your message.

Nolan

Massimo:

Your last message is quite confusing. I think your English has let you down.

Perhaps you could try the message again, or post your comment in Italian and we can use one of the Internet interpreters so get a better understanding of your message.

He said that Jet wont warranty the motor so he is having it rebuilt and it will be ready in a few days (so it seems)

Last edited:

gpgsm

I'm sorry for my English. :tongue:

The Italian distributor of JET does not change my engine.

I did regenerate the inside of my engine (winding) to 80 euros.

I hope to be ready as soon as possible

I believe that buying JET in Italy is not a good thing.

Excuse me again

Jet 1642 troubles

Hi Guys ..
First post...and it has to be a grumble !!!

I have the Jet 1642 lathe and absolutely loved it untill June (@2 Years old). The phase inverter on my machine went belly up and I couldn't get it going. This is after 2 years making small items including pens on a trade rated machine! After much discussion with my supplier and Axminister in the UK I have found that the warranty in Europe is 1 year on electrical and 2 years for mechanical. Unlike your 5 years warranty on everything in the States!
The customer service in Axminster Tools in the UK were a great help and I finally got a new inverter for ÂŁ150 uk pounds.
But it needed to be programmed by myself prior to working correctly. For that I ended up talking to a guy in Jet in America who was more than helpful and sent me on the programming details.

Job done, up and running, back making sawdust, yeah!

I would love to buy more Jet tools but this experience has left a bit of a sour taste.

Bheo

gpgsm

I have the engine again, now my lathe is back to work.

Bheo, I still think that Jet products are good, some machines can ever break.

Regards

Anything mechanical or for that matter electronic has the potential to break down.. especially if it get lots of useage... I run one or both of my lathes every day for 4-6 hours per day... since retiring and getting into turning, I find it to be almost addictive... I go into withdrawals if I miss a day on the lathe.

I have two Jets and only other experience with a lathe is on a Ridgid from Home Depot which was my starter lathe. It was good, but love the Jets.

It's a shame that Jet doesn't warrant their equipment in Europe the same as USA...I had a rattle in my new lathe a couple of weeks back and thought the bearings were going out... I called tech support at Jet and talked with a tech... he thought same thing and sent new bearings... when I opened the cover to put the new bearings in, discovered that a pulley on the motor had come loose and was turning against the motor housing.. not the bearings at all... I was surprised that the bearings might be going bad since the lathe is only a few months old and on the little 1014 it took 5 years to wear out the bearings..

Randy_

.....It's a shame that Jet doesn't warrant their equipment in Europe the same as USA.......

Chuck: I have had some preliminary discussions with the JET home office about this subject and what they are telling me..... preliminarily..... is that the warranties are the same regardless of where their tools are sold. That comment refers specifically to the original situation with the lathe in Italy.

Can't comment on Bhoe's situation in the UK as his use appears to be commercial and warranties in those situations are frequently different. I will see if I can find out about commercial or industrial grade use and determine if there is a difference.

With respect to the lathe in Italy, here is what I have found out so far. Italy has a different electrical standard, as does all of Europe and most of the rest of the world, and electrical equipment manufactured to run on US electricity will generally not run on European power without being modified or the use of a converter. In the case of Italy, and this specific lathe (1236), the foreign dealer is supposed to change out the original motor and install a new one that is designed to run on local power. Since the 1236 is a Reeves drive lathe, it is only necessary to install a new motor. I did not ask what the situation is where the VS is electronic and both a controller and a motor might be needed.

According to the JET home office, if the new motor is installed, the full JET warranty should be in force unless there are other factors involved that we don't know about. Other thing is that the new 5 year warranty provisions went into effect in June of 2006 so it is entirely possible that the lathe in Italy is still under full warranty and not just the old 2 year coverage.

I am going to chat with our member in Italy and get some more details. It may yet turn out that JET is not the bad guy here and there are other factors involved and maybe it is nothing more than bad communications??

Randy_

I have the Jet 1642 lathe and absolutely loved it untill June (@2 Years old). The phase inverter on my machine went belly up and I couldn't get it going. This is after 2 years making small items including pens on a trade rated machine! After much discussion with my supplier and Axminister in the UK I have found that the warranty in Europe is 1 year on electrical and 2 years for mechanical. Unlike your 5 years warranty on everything in the States.....

The 5 year warranty only went into effect in June of 2006 so maybe new lathes in the UK now have the longer warranty period? In fact, your lathe might have a 5 year warrantyu depending upon exactly when you purchased it. According to what the JET home office is telling me preliminarily, there is no difference in the length of the warranty for electronics vs, the mechanicals. It is either 2 years or 5 years depending when you purchased the lathe and it doesn't matter whether it was purchased in the US or in a foreign country. The only exception is listed below. They are still researching the issue to be sure that the prilim. information is correct and I should have an answer on that by Friday afternoon. It will be interesting to see what develops!!:wink:

[FONT=Arial,Bold]
WHAT IS NOT COVERED?
[/FONT]
Five Year Warranties do not cover woodworking (WW) products used for commercial, industrial or educational purposes. Woodworking products with Five Year Warranties that are used for commercial, industrial or education purposes revert to a One Year Warranty. This warranty does not cover defects due directly or indirectly to misuse, abuse, negligence or accidents, normal wear-and-tear, improper repair or alterations, or lack of maintenance.

I guess the question we need to ask of Bhio is whether he was using the lathe for commercial purposes and.....no.....i don't know exactly how they (JET) define commercial purposes.

Randy_

Maissimo:

Look for an email from me. The people at the JET home office need some information about your situation to determine if your lathe should have been covered by their warranty.

Randy,
Never said Jet was bad guys... I'm sold on their equipment. It's good to know that they stand behind their products. I'm aware of the different cycle of electrical current in UK and Europe.. I'm not certain and don't quote me, but I'm thinking USA is about only country using the 60 cycle.. When I was still working and traveling some, I had to be aware of the electrical problems.. and different plug configuration for the various countries.. My last two foreign trips were to Peru and Trinidad... I found it less of a hassle to leave electronics at home..

Randy_

Chuck: Never meant to imply that "you" thought JET was the "bad guy"; but others did suggest it.

As a gross generalization, 60 Hertz power is the domain of the Americas with only a few other countries in the rest of the world. Every body else is on 220V/50H with one or two odd-ball exceptions.

Here is a link to a map that purports to show the power supply standards for the entire world.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Image:800px-Map_of_the_world_coloured_by_voltage_and_frequency.png

gpgsm

Sorry but only now I read your post.

Randy, I received your email, you respond as soon as possible.

For now, thanks to all

Randy_

I'm sad, the engine of my lathe Jet has stopped working.

If I try to turn the lathe takes a short-circuit.

I tried to change the power button, and condensers but the problem is internal to the engine.

The lathe has 6 months of life, unfortunately I do not use it many hours per day.

My dealer says that the warranty does not cover the engine.

In Italy the repair costs 180 euros and the new engine costs 240 euros.

I did not find on-line shops of spare parts.

You have you any suggestions?

Thank you

I have been trying to get some help for Massimo and have had several conversations with a guy at JET about the issue. Our preliminary conversations seem to indicate that Massimo is entitled to warranty coverage.

However, I just went back and reread the original post (above) and noticed a point that I had overlooked previously (hi-lited). It would appear that Massimo might have made some "unauthorized" repairs to the motor?:confused: If that is the case, it would almost certainly void the warranty.

I am continuing to look into this problem to see if anything can be done and will post any significant discoveries.

gpgsm

Hello Randy,

I had replaced the starter switch and then put the originals back to the beginning that I believed that the problem was that.

After I discovered that the engine was broken and had rewound.

However, the dealer has always told me that the warranty does not cover the engine before that I shall say of my attempts.

I understand that's wrong to try to adjust the lathe alone, I am so sorry, everything is experience.

This incident confirms my impression that the Jet is serious, while in Italy unfortunately things are not always well managed.

Thanks again for your help
Massimo

bitshird

Randy and Massimo, There have been numerous problems with Taig milling machines sent outside the US, most revolve around the 50 HZ issue, the vast majority of the world uses 50 hertz, the US and our northern friends seem to be the odd balls of the world, But it could be worse we could be using DC.

Randy_

Ken: I wondered about that as well. I discussed that issue with JET technicians and all JET machines sold in 50 Hertz countries have 50 Hertz motors installed. I don't know what they do for machines that have electronicVS. Maybe the frequency difference is not a problem for those tools?

Randy / Chuck ..
Thanks for the feedback. I'll be going back to my local supplier again with this info and the warranty details downloaded from the Jet site. Will let you know the outcome.

Thanks
Bheo

Top Bottom