Jet 1220 speed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

charliekap

First, I want to say hello as I am new to IAP. Yesterday, I snagged a Jet 1220 VS off Craigslist for pen turning. There was quite a bit of surface rust but after an hour or so of cleanup and waxing, it looks very good. Now on to my question... what speed range is typically used for turning wood and acrylics? Can you keep the belt on the same pulley from start (roughing a square) to sanding and finishing? I have already gleened a ton of info from this forum and look forward continued visits.

Charlie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I rough and finish turn wood and acrylic at pretty much the same speed....1800 to 2400.

Once I am at the sanding stage, I cut it down to 600-800. I final buff with the last bit of wax back up at 1800 or so.

As far as leaving the the belt on the same pully, if you can hit all those speeds then you can leave it on the same pulley. There isn't a whole lot of torque turning a pen so power shouldn't be an issue.

jj9ball

I have a jet 12 20 and I usually use the fastest pulley and just leave it there. I turn and shape at around 2400-2600. I sand (and I know this makes me the odd ball) between 2600-3600 depending on the grit of paper. I usually use friction polish and that 3300-3600 speed range is enough to put an incredible shine on a pen... albeit less durable than the CA finish that has become so popular. The jet lathe works great for pens and I rarely ever change the belt position. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom