Jet 1014VS Update 08-03-06

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jarheaded

08-03-06
I just spoke with Larry at HUT. He told me that it is a matter of how you interprete their wording. Please see the current HUT catalog page 36. In other words, it's not going to happen. I tried:(

For those that don't have it, it says:

The JET Variable Speed Lathe may be purchased with a pen or call starter kit valued at over $135 for only $75.

I found this to mean that we could buy the lathe for $75 with the other purchase. Like someone said, "If it looks to good to be true, It probably is" I will be dealing with companies that word things more clearly in the future.

08-03-05
I have a chance to buy one of these lathes for $75 brand new. The price is what is keeping me from doing it. The deal is legit and not something that fell off the truck. Does anyone know anything about them? I am thinking of it just for another backup or a portable lathe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomKitten

They are consistantly the highest rated mini-lathe on any website or forum I've seen. This may be "last year's model" without the indexed head. The one with the indexing head is currently available as the 1014VSI. But even without the indexing, it's a darn great lathe!

karlkuehn

Banned
Me too, buddy ole' pal! I'll take two of them if you can get them. I like the non-indexing head better anyways! :D

How much wood's it gonna take for me to get two of those from you? heh

Jarheaded

I will have the complete scoop on these tomorrow. I will do what I can to get as many as possible if the offer is a valid one. If they are seconds, rebuilt, or warm, I'm out and will not pass on any info.
Dave, it looks like you are all set with one(at 4 times the price)[:0].:)
Karl, What are you going to do with 2 of them? Start casting lathes?...:D
Everyone else, tomorrow you will have the answers that you seek.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I have one and love it. For the price you say, it is probably the non-index model but who cares I'll take 3 if you can get them for me at that price. No kidding, I'm seroius, I would take 3 at that price.

Originally posted by hunter-27

I have one and love it. For the price you say, it is probably the non-index model but who cares I'll take 3 if you can get them for me at that price. No kidding, I'm seroius, I would take 3 at that price.

Oh, I get it now. This is an auction! I'll take 4 at that price. Do I hear 5?

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Proud_Poppa_of_2

Originally posted by hunter-27

Oh, I get it now. This is an auction! I'll take 4 at that price. Do I hear 5?
:D

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by Jarheaded

Karl, What are you going to do with 2 of them? Start casting lathes?...:D

Well, I actually built a jig that holds 5 skews at the same time, but I need more lathes to try it out. heh [:p]

Actually, my brother needs one and I want to replace my little Shop Fox with something a little bigger. My Rikon is kind of set up the way I like it for stoppers and bigger stuff, and I'd like to not have to keep changing gear out when I go back and forth to pens. Besides, I really miss the VS sometimes, especially when I'm sanding and such.

So there. Nyah.

Hey...how about if they're only maybe a little lukewarm? [}:)]

Originally posted by Jarheaded

08-03-06
I just spoke with Larry at HUT. He told me that it is a matter of how you interprete their wording. Please see the current HUT catalog page 36. In other words, it's not going to happen. I tried:(

For those that don't have it, it says:

The JET Variable Speed Lathe may be purchased with a pen or call starter kit valued at over $135 for only $75.

Is Larry at Hut saying the statement should be read to mean that you can purchase a $135 pen or call starter kit for $75 if you purchase the Jet lathe at the same time? If so, I find that interesting for two reasons. First, assuming you have quoted the statement from the Hut catalog accurately and assuming Hut intended the statement to be grammatically correct, there is only one way to interpret the statement and that is the way you interpreted it, Johnnie. Second, I checked the Hut web site and I do not see any pen or call starter kits that cost $135. The most expensive starter kit I find is $79.99. Perhaps the company's catalog contains more expensive starter kits.

Rifleman1776

You said Hut said, "The JET Variable Speed Lathe may be purchased with a pen or call starter kit valued at over $135 for only $75."

I have read it several times and the only way (IMHO) to interpret that is that you can buy the Jet lathe for $75.00 along with a $135.00 starter kit. Total purchase: $210.00.
That may not be what they meant to say, but, I have a feeling any good lawyer or judge would see it that way.
Many of these companies do not hire professional copy writers. I believe CS is the worst, they make many errors in their catalogs.
I like the HUT company and Larry is a good guy, he has helped me several times. But, they goofed. Maybe a telephone campaign demanding they honor that offer would get action.

karlkuehn

Banned
While I'm not much on the whole Karma mumbo-jumbo, count me out of any further actions. I'd hate to make a similar mistake and have someone exploit it, especially when the deal's obviously too good to be true anyways. I wouldn't feel right doing that, and I'm not into compromising my integrity for a couple hundred bucks.

Now if we were knocking over a bank, that'd be different! hehe

We could be like "Pabian's Eleven"...

"Alright, everybody listen up! Put all the money in the bags or we'll blow these pressure pots up at you!" [:p]:D

Jarheaded

I quoted directly and exactly from the catalog that I received yesterday. I read it as I could buy $135 worth of starter kits and buy a lathe for $75. I don't see any other way to read it, but I am biased on it at this point. There is no mention of it on the website and I did search for it. He stated that some of the sentences were omitted on purpose and that it will be changed in the fall catalog. I find it to be very misleading, but nothing illegal. And Karl, no planning of any heists without the proper paper work done in triplicate please.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
This thread speaks almost directly to the thread that William (wdcav1952) posted a week or so back.

The English language, American version, is a strange beast. Dialects vary, sentence structure changes the meaning. Punctuation changes meaning. How about this?
The JET Variable Speed Lathe may be purchased, with a pen or call starter kit valued at over $135 for only $75.
Or this?
The JET Variable Speed Lathe may be purchased with a pen, or call starter kit valued at over $135 for only $75.
Or this?
The JET Variable Speed Lathe may be purchased with a pen or call, starter kit valued at over $135 for only $75.

Or how about the wording is a simple mistake? Should the store be hung out to dry for a simple error? EVERYONE knew this was too good to be true. In this case, it really IS too good to be true.

leehljp

Member Liaison

It has been 43 years since I argued with and corrected my HS English teachers through diagramming but it is my opinion that the preposition "with" separates the first part from the second part grammatically and legally.

You can purchase this lathe . . .
with, if, when, along with,
in addition to the starter kit valued at $135 for $75.

That does not say that the lathe is $75.00, only that you can buy the lathe when you buy the starter kit.

Jarheaded

IMHO continuing this is just a waste of time. I was a little upset, but I am over it. They can't be expected to give away a bunch of lathes due to poor writing. It could have been handled differently by them, instead of telling me that it was the way it is interpreted, they could have just told me that it was an error in editing and that was not the way it should have been written. I would have been happier with that answer. I really did want a truckload at that price and I am willing to share on a good deal.

Top Bottom