Jet 1014vs switch stopped working.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I think this is the right place to post this. Does anyone know if I can just go to the hardware store and pick up a switch? and what I would need to get? I looked at eparts and I could only find a switch for the 1014i whatever that is + it was plastic and looked different

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

You could use a hardware store switch, but you would have to cut the connectors off of the lathe wires to use it. The hardware store toggles ( the ones here anyway) are screw terminal switches. The Jet uses blade connectors.

A new switch from Jet is less than $10 and they shipped mine in one day.

PenMan1

Jet uses Walter Meyer to distribute their parts AND the VSI switch IS different from the plain 1014.

Meyer has all of the jet parts on diagrams. The nice lady that answered the phone at Meyer knew the Jet 1014VSI switch number by heart, so I bought three switches.

Last edited:

lwalden

If you're in a rush, go to Home depot. They carry a toggle switch from Gardner Bender that says it's an SPST Toggle Switch, marked GSW-11 in the upper right hand corner, that can be used with a simple modification. As Andy pointed out, these are screw terminal connections on this toggle switch, but rather than cut the blade connectors off of the jet wiring, I took the screws out of the toggle switch connector blades, and used a pair of wire dykes to trim the broader "ears" of the screw terminal connectors so the blade connectors on the jet wiring would work. Also had to use my bench vise to "flatten" back down the portion of the screw terminal that had been drilled and then tapped to fit the screws. About 2 minutes to do these simple mods, and back in business. After hearing this was such a common problem, went ahead and bought a second switch to keep on hand, which is still in the original packaging. On the back, below the bar code, the product code shows to be 32076 89077. Package indicates this is a 10 A 277 V AC/20 A 125 V AC/ 3/4 HP 125-250 V AC toggle switch. I want to say it was $3 or $4 bucks each. Good luck!

Thanks for the responses. I will either order one tomorrow or stop y the depot tomorrow.
The switch usually clicks when it is on or off but now it just goes up and down with no positive clicking action.

KenV

Brian - if you are out of warrenty - and careful -- a double throw double pole switch replacement will allow you to convert a 1014 VS to have a reverse. The switch only works with the DC variable speed motor and is not factory blessed.

The risk -- if you go to reverse while the lathe motor is turning you are going to cause bad things to happen and need either a new control or a new motor (odds are the control box). There is a chance that you could fry both (but low).

Stop before reverse -- but it is very very nice to reverse direction with sanding.

Radio Shacke sells the switch. I did this with my sherline motor -- nice. Have not yet done it to the 1014 VS but have the parts.

Last edited:
I took the switch apart and all it is, is a plastic leg that sticks out from the toggle. The plastic arm goes from side 1 for off or side 2 for on, which is just a bowed piece of metal with a copper nub on the contact end. There are legs that stick out each side of this little bowed metal piece that are worn through or destroyed from arcing. anyhoo I bent the cradle that these little arms set into on one side for whats left for that little arm to rest in and it works for now but not for long I am sure.
Just thought I would put this in here in case anyone had one go out and wanted a possable temp fix. Still will need to get a new 1or 2.
Again, thanks for the help.

PenMan1

I took the switch apart and all it is, is a plastic leg that sticks out from the toggle. The plastic arm goes from side 1 for off or side 2 for on, which is just a bowed piece of metal with a copper nub on the contact end. There are legs that stick out each side of this little bowed metal piece that are worn through or destroyed from arcing. anyhoo I bent the cradle that these little arms set into on one side for whats left for that little arm to rest in and it works for now but not for long I am sure.
Just thought I would put this in here in case anyone had one go out and wanted a possable temp fix. Still will need to get a new 1or 2.

You could always just leave it in the "on" position and plug the lathe into a foot switch.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I found an identical switch at True Value for mine, much better quality than the original that quit after 6 months. Replacement has been on for 3 years now, no issues.

You could always just leave it in the "on" position and plug the lathe into a foot switch.
do you know if the peddles are positive on and off. Or do I need to keep my foot on the peddle? PSI has one but I dont want one if you hav to keep you foot on it.

Top Bottom