Jet 10-14 VS or Turncrafter Pro VS?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

follow3

Which do you reccomend?

How do they compare?

Drawbacks or concerns with either?

Advantages of either?

I already have a Jet 12-36 VS and am looking to add a mini to my shop, so...any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DustyDenim

Steve: My father purchased the Jet 10-14VS a couple of years ago and loves it. Dad and I helped put on a penmaking demo for our fellow woodworkers club members last summer where there was about four other brands of lathes and one of our good friends decided on purchasing the Jet after this demo. In our opinion you can't go wrong with this lathe and the variable speed is a great asset compared to step pulleys.

OKLAHOMAN

Have 2 Jet minis one VS one not, use both everyday and would not trade my VS the non VS would only trade for a VS. You still have to adj. the pulleys on the VS as you have 3 speed ranges, I've never had to as I use the highest speed range, the slow is just right for finishing and I do most turning at the highest speed.

Russianwolf

I have a turncrafter pro (non-vs) and other than the polish, it's the same as the jet. By polish, I mean the castings are a bit rougher and you might need to knock some sharp points off to bprevent getting scratched. But it's a nice little machine.

Others will say I'm crazy and stupid, but I don't see a difference and I've worked on both.

BrentK

I have to agree with Mike I own the turncrafter pro with vs I love the machine and the price on amazon made it even sweeter. But I would buy another one if there came a need for two lathes.

M

monkeynutz

I have not used a Turncrafter, but I have no complaints whatsoever about my Jet VS.

follow3

Thanks for the info everyone.
I think I am going to go with the Jet.
I have several Jet machines in my shop and am happy with all of them, I just wanted opinions comparing the two machines.
I think they are probably both great, but I will stick with the Jet.

Thanks,
Steve

workinforwood

I originally bought the turncrafter pro VS. Part of it was me being new, but part of it was the quality of the machine. For one, the tool rest became very worn down after making only a few pens. I decided to try making a bowl. I put the block on a faceplate and screwed it on the machine. I turned the bowl and then couldn't get it unscrewed. I didn't know about using a wooden washer in between, but regardless, I stuck the pry bar that comes with the machine and is for this purpose...to turn the spindle. I put wrench on faceplate and using the two tools I pulled to unscrew the faceplate. The pry bar bent. The holes in the spindle became elongated. The metal is too soft and the pry bar too wimpy. I called, complained and returned the machine.

Now I have the jet 10 14VSI. That's what I bought when I got my money back. several hundred pens turned, the tool rest has almost no wear. It has a locking pin to lock the spindle. I push in the pin, spin the head and the faceplate or chuck turns right off. Being a newbie, especially at that time, I was bound to make some mistakes. The first machine was not strong enough to take a beginners abuse. The jet takes a licken and keeps on ticken.

Another thing..if you buy the turncrafter at PSI and don't like it, you can return it no matter what you do to it within the first 30 days. That's what they say and that is true, BUT...you pay the return shipping and do not get re-imbursed for the return shipping nor do you get the initial shipping money back. That's a loss of about $100.

Top Bottom