Jaw chuck selection-- drilling LARGE pen blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

I am considering buying a jaw chuck that will be used mostly for drilling blanks for larger pens (Emperor, Gents, etc...). Since I am moving and will be losing access to drill press (and I like the accuracy of lathe drilling) this is the way I need to go.

However, since this is a non-typical way of using a lathe chuck.

Does anyone here use the PSI Barracuda (1) to do this? Does it allow "through" drilling? Since it comes with several jaws, including "pin" jaws and some good jaws for bowl turning (which I also do).

BTW, the Beall collet chuck can drill things 3/4 in diameter with the right collet. Given the dead-nuts accuracy of this item, will 3/4 be a large enough blank for an Emperor or Gent?

alamocdc

Fish, I have both the Utility Chuck and the Barracuda (1), and I use both regularly. In fact, I just used my Barracuda (1) to drill and tap a large order of bottle stoppers. I also use both for turning bowls regularly. The utility chuck is almost always mounted to my large lathe and I keep the jumbo jaws on it. When I need to use the other jaws I use the Barracuda. It's mostly b/c I'm lazy and don't want to have to keep changing jaws. [;)] I've actually been comtemplating getting the Barracuda (2) to compliment the set and make my life even easier. Remember, he who dies with the most tools wins. [:0]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom