Japan's Red Maple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coop

Anybody ever turned Red Maple from Japan? I cut some dead and spalted wood blanks from a tree. The wood is not red, but the leaves were when it was alive. It looks like it's mostly dry, a oily fine grained wood like Cocobolo. Thinking of microwaving a blank so I could see if it would make a good pen. I've never trying that..Then seal up the rest of the wood for a year or two on the end gains..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
That would be interesting to see. Post a picture of it when you can. I have a small red maple tree in my yard back in Japan. They don't grow very fast. I have a mulberry that grows fast though. Wish I had a persimmon tree, - that wood is EXPENSIVE!

Coop

Originally posted by leehljp
<br />That would be interesting to see. Post a picture of it when you can. I have a small red maple tree in my yard back in Japan. They don't grow very fast. I have a mulberry that grows fast though. Wish I had a persimmon tree, - that wood is EXPENSIVE!

20075231151_DSCI0079.jpg
<br />

200752311539_redmapjap1.jpg
<br />

20075231183_redmapjap2.jpg
<br />Here you go I photographs all 4 sides of the first blank and found some nice spalting. 6"x3/4", Micro-dryed and sealed on end grains. The red maple has a light yellow cast..

200752312024_redmspjap3.jpg
<br />COOP

Hank,
I'm sitting on my front porch looking at two Persimmon trees in front of the old barn across the street.... just waiting for those trees to die so I can make a deal with the owner to cut them up....[:D].. Kinda thought this might be the year.. seemed like they were really late leafing out... but they did.[V]

leehljp

Member Liaison
That is a nice looking blank and I bet it makes a good looking pen!

Chuck, I have heard that US persimmons have black or at least dark brown streaks in them. It would be interesting to see what comes out of those trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom