Jade - mini gloat and question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
A couple of months ago I made a pen for an old business friend. He just returned from a trip to China and brought me some jade.

2007370398_Jade.jpg

Anyone ever work with this stuff? Can I just drill it with a diamond bit? Can it be turned on a Shopsmith?

Hope to get a pen, some centerbands and finials for closed end pens from it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elody21

Wow! It is beautiful! I bet there is something on the internet on turning stone.

samuel07

DON'T DO IT!!!!

At least not the whole piece. Just use it for some accents or the center band. I'd hate to see how much of that beautifuljade would end up unusable by making a pen out of it.

I was in China a little over a year ago and went to one of the goverment run jade shops and saw some being carved. they used lots of big grinders and lots of water. I believe its very hard.

PenWorks

Bruce, why not send it my way and I will see what I can do with it [:0] [:p]
Beautiful, you can be half way there to a 1,000 pen ! Good luck.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />Bruce, why not send it my way and I will see what I can do with it [:0] [:p]
Beautiful, you can be half way there to a 1,000 pen ! Good luck.
Be happy to as long as you'll send it back with a few dragons carved on it.

Actually I'm going to see if I can buy a bunch of these and will offer some to the group for trades. Don't want to do a group buy as it make take too long to actually get them and I'm not sure how reliable the source is. In their current form they look a little like some of your pen rests which may be cool as well.

workinforwood

no doubt..that's impressive. Let us know how you turn it...make one big fat solid pen !

If you have a scroll saw, you can buy diamond glass/stone cutting blades. requires a drip system, which is available by Hawk / RBI industries. That's one way to slice it anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom