Jacobs Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TerryDowning

I too have a Shopsmith.

If you want a jacobs chuck on the head stock that attaches to the quill. You need one with a 5/8" smooth bore and set screw. Shopsmith.com, ebay, etc.

If you want a stationary chuck in the tail stock any MT2 chuck will work, just use the MT2 socket in the tailstock eccentric.

If you have the Shopsmith chuck, you can aslo get a MT2 adapter with a 5/8" stud on it and attach the SS Jacobs chuck to that. shopsmith.com has these for sale as well.

If you use HF chuck be mindful that the chuck keys may be different so don't lose them. my HF tailsock chick uses a different key than my SS jacobs chuck.

Xander

No I have a Shop smith it would have to be a 1" x 8tpi i think unless there is another idea that I don't know

OK, this brings up a question.

What are you doing with the 'chuck' ?

1) Holding a drill in the tail stock ?

or

2) Holding the blank in the head stock ?

TerryDowning

Jacobs chuck for Shopsmith is typically only 1/2" capacity so that's a small blank.

You sure you don't mean a scroll chuck? or collett chuck?

TerryDowning

I use the following on my Shopsmith

5/8" to 1" x8 TPI adapter from PSI
Barracuda 2 scroll chuck from PSI with. I use this for bowls, spindles, and drilling pen blanks.
Collett chuck from PSI also used for detailed turning, drilling round stock, threading

1/2" MT2 drill chuck from HF for holding the drill bits/taps when drilling or tapping on the lathe.

A word of advise on drilling with the lathe on the SS. The tailstock likes to flex against the pressure of the quill. just don't push so hard and let the drill do the work. Clear the hole often. Make sure that the drill bit is alligned correctly with the headstock.

Remove anything attached tot he quill.
Install the drill chuck in the eccentric of the tail stock.
Insert your drill bit and hand tighten
tighten with the chuck key using all three points on the drill chuck
move the headstock to the drill bit and check the alignment. There is a dimple in the end of the quill the point from the drill bit should line up dead center with that dimple. You may have to adjust your eccentric and/or the height of the tailstock adapter to get the alignment where it's needed.

Always start drilling with a starter bit or dimple the center of the stock with a skew, this will keep the drill it from skating on the surface of the material.

Terry

butchf18a

I have and use the PSI blank drilling chuck. Works well with square, slightly out of square and round blanks alike. Not too expensive, has 1" x 8tpi mount. Can't go wrong with this. You will require a drill chuck for tail stock.
Jmoicbw-bidi

widows son

Golden Goose makes a good chuck for the money. The last Jacobs brand chuck I bought felt like it had sand in it and not quality I expected.

Top Bottom