Ivory..What to do?????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

hombre4

I originally purchased this piece of Ivory to make a pen but after receiving it I find it to be such a waste to make just one pen out of it. It measures over 5 1/4" long and one end is 1 3/8 across and 1 1/8" on the end and 100% solid and weights a full 1/2 lb. and has no cracks, just some age lines. Any ideals on what I could do with this fine piece of Ivory? Any and all ideals greatly appreciated.

Thanks....Archie

200591921753_ivoryhippotusk.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

That really looks like a day old banana to me. Its to small for most treens so the only thing other than a pen would be some type of turned box. If you can keep it from cracking then I think it would make a nice Statesman.

Wayne

Rifleman1776

No, send it to me. [:p][:D] I have a great appreciation for that sort of thing. Actually, it could make a heck of a beautiful pen. I have priced ivory and belive a hunk like that is worth around $800.00. [:0] From those who have worked ivory, I have heard that it builds up heat REAL-REAL fast and is very prone to cracking and blowing off the lathe. I had considered making a high end duck call from it but chickened out when I heard that. Personally, I wouldn't put it on a lathe. Ideas? [?][?] Dunno. Would lend itself better for carving or scrimshawing than turning. Take your time deciding. Whatever you do, post here with results.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
It can certainly make a beautiful pen, however, you will want to insure that it is stored in a humidor. When drilling and turning, it is more susceptible to heat problems than anything I have ever worked. Drill in steps, insuring that the bit never gets more than slightly warm. Turn in stages as even the heat produced in turning can result in cracking later. Sand very lightly and over a period of time such that the ivory never gets very warm.

tn_EleIvryMalaTurqA.jpg

ilikewood

With correct cutting, I would make 4 pens with it. Should be able to VERY
CAREFULLY cut it for 4 pens with that size...unless you are making 4 Gents.[8D]

elody21

Archie,
I would not rush things. With the cost of Ivory I would wait until the perfect idea comes to you. I have a few large pieces of mammoth Ivory. I like to use it to adorn special projects or pens. Just a thought. Alice

Edward Miller

Archie,
I believe Jim Lambert has worked with ivory before, he should be able to give you some advice. Btw, where do you get such a big chunk of ivory and what does something like that cost? (If you don't mind me asking)
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom