Ivory or something else?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

talbot

Can anyone help me identify this? I thought it was a small block of ivory, 5x 3x1" which Ive had in my workshop for over 20 years. I want to get 3 blanks from it and maybe go with some top end pen kits but only if I know its ivory and not something else.
I have cut a small piece and it does give off that "burning" smell so its definitley organic.
The lines are like a grain/veining so maybe that's a clue?
Ive never actually seen real ivory before other than in small inlays and carvings, not in a small block like this so in truth Ive no idea what it is.
Any help would be appreciated.
regards, Bill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Honestly, unless proven...I doubt that is genuine ivory. IF that is real ivory...you better hold on it and not cut it to blanks. I've never seen any ivory that size block. Even the biggest ivory tusks rarely yield anything that size block being rounded and hollow at the root end.

Old Ivory usually have cracks/veins that is circular almost like tree growth rings. Depending on how that was cut (and assuming it is ivory), the "rings" may show in various ways.

Good luck!!!

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
If you can scratch off or cut a very small sliver and burn it and it smells like burning hair, than that is a good indication it's may be ivory.

Rifleman1776

Very likely an alternate ivory called 'white paper micarta'. It does make that smell when worked. It is very popular with knife makers for handle material. It's cost is about double that of the alternate ivory sold by CS and others. However, I believe it looks more like real ivory than the CS stuff. I haven't worked any yet but have some blanks ready to turn. A piece I gave to a friend brought back the report that it is a bit hard to work and difficult to sand. When I do mine, I plan to wet sand with Micro Mesh, probably skipping the two coarsest grits to avoid deep scratches.
I was going to market this material but the high cost led me away from it as being non-competitive with the CS stuff.
I only have your picture to go by. But, if it is white paper micarta, try it, I believe you will be pleased with the results.

talbot

Very likely an alternate ivory called 'white paper micarta'. It does make that smell when worked. It is very popular with knife makers for handle material. It's cost is about double that of the alternate ivory sold by CS and others. However, I believe it looks more like real ivory than the CS stuff. I haven't worked any yet but have some blanks ready to turn. A piece I gave to a friend brought back the report that it is a bit hard to work and difficult to sand. When I do mine, I plan to wet sand with Micro Mesh, probably skipping the two coarsest grits to avoid deep scratches.
I was going to market this material but the high cost led me away from it as being non-competitive with the CS stuff.
I only have your picture to go by. But, if it is white paper micarta, try it, I believe you will be pleased with the results.

I think you got it Frank.
I just cut a thin slice and it does smell like burning hair,,,until I took a light to it and it caught fire! So I guess its not ivory and maybe the above.
At least now I dont have to go for really top end penkits for it,, maybe a gent or baron or something similar.
Thank you all for the replies, including RMB (nice one)
regards,Bill

Top Bottom