Ivory and Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

penbuilder

Hi guys,

I am interested in turning some antler and ivory pens and was wondering if someone out there could advise me on a couple things.

1. A good source of Ivory and Antler.

2. Can it be handled, drilled, and turned like wood, is it a more fragil or harder material. Any tips tricks on drilling and turning it, what if any finishes can be used.

I think that covers it.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

timbertones

Hey Penbuilder,

I've turned quite a few antler pens, finials, buttons, etc., from antlers that I either found or harvested myself. Aside from the smell they are a pleasure to turn with sharp tools.

If you aren't a hunter or if you don't know one willing to share their harvest with you, look on Ebay. There are usually many auctions with antlers, horns, bones, and the like.

Another thing to try is cow bones from the butcher (let them dry out good or cut them and dry them slowly in the oven) and some of the alternate ivory plastics.

cigarman

I bought some elk and deer antler from this place and had very good luck.. Just tell them what you want it for and they will give you the right size pieces. http://www.hideandfur.com/

This site has some ivory. http://www.ivoryworksltd.com/
Be sure to use a mask when turning antler and look out for the smell.

Bob A

Mark, I was told on another forum that when you turn antler you should use extra precautions not to breath the dust. The person told me that it is possible to catch what the deer died from possibly killing you too. Don't know how true this is, just passing it along.

I'm pretty sure all the antlers I've turned have come from deer that have been shot, so I've been keeping my eyes open for guys with guns. =)

Bob A.

melchioe

If there are any deer farms in the area, contact them - they usually have antler, and parts that will make pens are often obtainable for a bargain.

Daniel

As for Ivory, it is anouther material altogether. it is fairly fragile, expensive, and needs special care such as being kept oiled. not a thing for the feint of heart. so far I havn't had the cash or the courage to try any.
I like antler but I wear a resporatior as much to avoid the small as to not breath the dust. I have read infromation that both supports adn disclaims the catching diseases from antler dust. i tend to err on the side of safety in those cases.

Studio-N

Let's get a good definition of 'ivory' shall we:
Traditional elephant ivory is banned from import. There is still a lot of 'old' pre-ban ivory floating around that can be legally sold. Most are tusk tips or old ivory billiard balls, but you occasionally see some trunk sections come up for sale. This stuff is expensive. Ivory is not as fragile as said, but it is indeed heat-sensative so it is best to drill/cut/turn in small sections so as to give it time to cool. Doing these things too quickly will lead to it shattering or developing cracks. It is an excellent material and polishes beautifully and engraves great.

There is a lot of 'ivory' out there that is basically walrus tusk, bovine bone, or warthog tusk. You can even find mammoth ivory. These are basically second-rate ivory which people often try to pass off as elephant ivory. If it is easy to get, it probably isn't real ivory. these do make good pens however, and turn much like elephant ivory.

Lastly, there are several resin materials called artifical ivory which can be used. A google search will turn up lots of information on ivory and some on how to determine on whether it is real or not.

This is provided as information. I make no judgement on the ethical or ecological considerations of using ivory. peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom