Ivory or???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

I want to make two high end pen sets, the pen being made out of ebony and the pencil (or fountain pen/rollerball pen) made out of ivory. You know, "ebony and ivory."

Should I buy real elephant ivory? I found some here that says they only deal in "legal, pre-ban (June 1989) elephant ivory tusk from estates, museums, investors and collectors within the USA."

Or should I go with faux ivory? Do you think that would 'cheapen' the set?

I just hate to think of poachers killing elephants and I want no part of that.

Any ideas?:confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Real ivory can crack. At over $100 for enough to make a pen, how much pain can you stand???

Alternative ivory is under $10--comes in one inch or 3/4, I even know WHERE you can get some:bananen_smilies051::bananen_smilies051:

Padre

I'm thinking of going the alternate route. I've been reading some of the ivory threads on IAP, and one person mentioned a "pucker factor."

I know how that person feels, since even when I handle ivory carvings or see ivory jewelry, the image of butchered elephants leaps into my mind. That's definitely, for me, a pucker factor.

chriselle

Exotics..Alt. Ivory is pretty nice stuff. It has some really nice gentle banding and a great creamy white color. Here's one I did with it..

Attachments

• ALTivCE.jpg
    ALTivCE.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 142

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I met with the factory rep at Chicago last week and he told me that the thicker the material, the nicer the grain. I never knew of this characteristic and I always try to avoid buying material I am going to "turn off". But, you may want to try the one inch and see. (If you don't like the pen for this purpose, just sell it--on decent hardware they SELL WELL!!) Then, make the real ivory and pray it doesn't crack.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Casein is nice, but with the vertical, somewhat irregular lines, it will never be mistaken for ivory. There is also Alternative Bone, which is whiter than the ivory. To each his own--buy three of each, take your wife to dinner with the money you have left over cause you did NOT buy ivory.

(BTW, I would LOVE to make an ivory pen, but I am telling you all the reasons I have NOT done so--if I did not believe them, I wouldn't profess them!!) It IS however, an opinion, based on facts. There is always a chance you will make one that WON'T crack!! In which case it's one GORGEOUS pen!! (CA finish does NOT stop it--someone tried that a couple years ago)

Top Bottom