Which Ivory?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VirgilJ

The other day I started turning a Jr Statesman FP in Olive Wood and the blank for the cap broke. I had the blank for the pen body already glued up, so I just set the whole thing aside.

Last night I put the blank for the body on the lathe with the intention of turning the wood off completely so I could reuse the tube. The more I turned the better the blank looked so I went ahead and finished as pen body. It turned out to be a really lovely piece of Olive Wood. One of the best I've had in a while.

Now I need something to use as a cap. The only thing I could think of was imitation Ivory. I've never used Imitation Ivory before and a quick web search gave me a bunch of different choices. I would prefer something that is more white and less cream colored, but it is really hard to tell when viewing blanks on the web.

Anyone use an Ivory blank lately they really liked? Any help would be appreciated.
The picture is the pen body it would be used with.

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• Olivewood FP.jpg
    Olivewood FP.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 272
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I made a faith hope and love pen out of it last week. I will post later. I did blow the top barrel when trimming the barrel with a carbide trimmer. I will make more imitation ivory pens, but will look for an AA or PR alternative. I would say the color is close to what most would consider. PSI features the faith hope and love in II with petwer hardware in their catalog (possible the online version too); my pen came out exactly like that.

TonyL

I agree about the Corian. Casein was my first thought...but milk solids. It does have a nice textured look though. I am going with the Corian. Thanks!

robutacion

The other day I started turning a Jr Statesman FP in Olive Wood and the blank for the cap broke. I had the blank for the pen body already glued up, so I just set the whole thing aside.

Last night I put the blank for the body on the lathe with the intention of turning the wood off completely so I could reuse the tube. The more I turned the better the blank looked so I went ahead and finished as pen body. It turned out to be a really lovely piece of Olive Wood. One of the best I've had in a while.

Now I need something to use as a cap. The only thing I could think of was imitation Ivory. I've never used Imitation Ivory before and a quick web search gave me a bunch of different choices. I would prefer something that is more white and less cream colored, but it is really hard to tell when viewing blanks on the web.

Anyone use an Ivory blank lately they really liked? Any help would be appreciated.
The picture is the pen body it would be used with.

Thanks in advance!!

Well, it would have been a shame to have destroyed that tube, the piece of Olive on it is exquisite...!

I know that, trying to find an olive blank short that would match what you've got there, is not as easy as going for an alternative material however, my suggestion is perfectly "doable" but, it would make a very expensive 2"1/2 or 3" length of a pen blank short but possible, sure...!:wink::biggrin:

Good luck,

Cheers
George

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Corian is a "pure white".
Ivory has some grain.
Casein is a milk product and, as such may crack.
Alternate Casein won't crack. It is not as easy to turn as corian, but not difficult either.
Alternate Ivory looks a great deal like real ivory, but it does take some turning talent.

robutacion

Hahahah...!:biggrin:

I was looking at my own post and I saw that, the second part of it, didn't come out how I wanted it, not even close...!:mad:

What I meant was, if you pay for shipping (minimum 250gr. @ AU$9.00), you will get a shots blank, a match for what you have there and another 3 quality Olive wood blanks, form my neck of the woods, free of charge, the only condition is that, we will all see the finished pen with the matching top...!:wink::biggrin:

How's that looks to you...???:)

PS: That bottom barrel worth more than, any alternative...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

VirgilJ

Thank you all for a lot of good ideas!!

and thank you George for your very generous offer.

Ed at Exotic Blanks has several types of imitation ivory and even imitation bone. I'm going to order a couple of samples from him and see which one trips my trigger.

He also has some imitation Alabaster that I really like. I don't think it would look right with the Olive wood, but I already have a pen picked out to put it on.

robutacion

Thank you all for a lot of good ideas!!

and thank you George for your very generous offer.

Ed at Exotic Blanks has several types of imitation ivory and even imitation bone. I'm going to order a couple of samples from him and see which one trips my trigger.

He also has some imitation Alabaster that I really like. I don't think it would look right with the Olive wood, but I already have a pen picked out to put it on.

No "problemo"...!

Good luck,
Cheers
George

Top Bottom