It's the CA Stupid!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ElMostro

Ok, so for a while now I have been trying to figure out what is causing a skin rash. When you are turning many different woods and working with resins and several finishes all at once it is kind of hard to pin-point. So, for the last several weeks I have not turned or finished a single pen and just worked with casting and nothing happened. So maybe (I thought) a wood or a finish was the culprit. But then I was making some segmented blanks and was using some thin CA and BAMM… a couple of days later the rash was back. It is mainly in the legs behind the knees and it itches like hell, I also have some on the forearms and when showering with hot water it really gets interesting…I scratch and scratch bit I get no relief. Now having followed this thread (which mainly deals with respiratory reactions);
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43401
I am using a half respirator with the organic filters (although they need to be replaced) and use a fan to blow away the fumes. I am not sanding so I am not producing any CA dust so I am not sure how the rash is caused. Anybody else experience anything similar?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reddwil

It could be the Ca itself or a certain chemical in it. Being your rash is on your legs, I doubt its a contact rash, so it must be from breathing the fumes. However it could be getting into your blood and thats just where the rash is. Poison Ivy does me that away. I touch it with my hands and get rashes everywhere but my hands. Some alergic reactions are mind boggling. I can eat shrimp, I can eat butter, and I can drink wine, but if you put them togather in Shrimp scampi, my face and throat swells up like a ballon. Go figure!!!

Stick Rounder

Eugene,

This is a systemic allergic reponse to a component of the CA glue or a combination of components in the CA glue. With each exposure to the allergen your body produces anti-bodies, these anti-bodies cause the release of histamine. It is systemic because it appears all over your body. Unfortunately, with repeated exposure your antibody level rises. Once the antibody level is high enough and you are exposed to the allergen you could have an anaphylatic reaction. Much more serious. I have seen patients both in clinic and in the ED with all levels of reaction and most started out mild, and became severe with repeated exposure. Avoidance is the key. Pre-medication before a known exposure with a non-sedating anti-histamine may offer some relief in the short term, but the antibodies are still being made. Proper protective gear is paramount so that there is no exposure another is air filtration. These three things in combination, non-sedating anti-histamine, air filtration/ventilation and protective gear will greatly reduce your symptoms. Hope this helps.

makaiolani

I got a rash on my arms and back of my neck and ears. It was so bad I couldn't sleep. I found out I'm allergic to Milo wood. Have you developed an allergy to a type of wood? I haven't heard of many people having reactions to CA.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Eugene,

Pre-medication before a known exposure with a non-sedating anti-histamine may offer some relief in the short term, but the antibodies are still being made. Proper protective gear is paramount so that there is no exposure another is air filtration. These three things in combination, non-sedating anti-histamine, air filtration/ventilation and protective gear will greatly reduce your symptoms. Hope this helps.

I recently started taking an OTC Claritin or two in the morning before spending a day making pens. That helps in addition to the other combinations you mentioned. Sometimes the residual dust from my clothes still gets into my lungs after I wipe my clothes with a damp cloth. For this reason, I started using the Claritin a couple of months ago. I do notice a difference.

Below is what I posted in the link the Eugene mentioned in the first post:

I am one of those that worked with CA for some time before getting a reaction - for almost 2 years with no problems what so ever. Then by the time I got proficient with CA I began to have normal allergies such as sniffles for a day or so. Then about 3 months after that symptom first occurred, it started getting worse. Cold like, flu like symptoms for 3 days and even double vision.

I first started using a mask, then a double canister mask, which helped quite a bit. But residual dust accumulating on hands and sleeves still triggered responses. I spent last winter making a DC system in my small 9 X 12 shed that is only about 6 feet from my rear neighbor's house and 8 feet from next door neighbor's house. So I had to have a "quiet" DC that still had some power.

Now, I have a 400 CFM dedicated DC on the lathe, use a double canister mask, keep a damp towel handy to wipe down my sleeves and hand. I also have a flip up mask. In addition, I take a Claritin or two.

It takes the combination of all four for me when I am doing half day or all day pen turning and finishing.

Now I can use CA to my heart's (and body's) content.

Last edited:

ElMostro

Thank you all for your input...I will be definitely taking your advice. Man...just when I had figured out how to do a good quick CA finish...back to square one.

I wonder though if the odorless CA may be less bad (is that proper grammer? ;))

may have to try that...
Thanks again.

Eugene

Top Bottom