Issues w/ storing pens???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

potts17

This is my first post, been looking at the website for a while, a lot of great info on here.

Does anyone know if there would be any issue with storing pens in tubes, like these from Hut? http://www.hutproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=0244

Was hoping after about a day or two after the pens are turned and finished, I'd put them in the tubes for storage, that way they aren't damaged, easy to stack, etc. Also I'd be selling them with the tube.

Do the pens need to breathe or is sealing them in the tubes for an extended time ok?

Thanks for your help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I use tubes like that to store/ship my pens. They do work well and customers like them as well. When I first make the pen I leave the cap off the tube for a few days to make sure I don't trap any moisture in it. I don't keep a lot of pens on hand so the longest I have had one in the tube is about a month. If you have any other questions just ask.

potts17

Thanks everyone, just what I was hoping to hear. Anyone ordered from Hut before? No issues either?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Do be aware, if you do outdoor shows--those tubes will increase the likelihood of your wood pens cracking.

Yes, I use them, Yes I do outdoor shows and yes, I keep them in the shade--if it's over 80, I will avoid bringing wood pens--they stay in the hotel with the A/C

Pastors Pen

If you do CA finish, let the pen vent for 24 to 48 hours before putting it in a tube. Had very bad thing happen to my pens this way.:(

Ditto... put them in an airtight container too soon, and you get a chalky haze on metal parts, especially black titanium. A cloth dampened with acetone will take it off, but you would need to be very careful not to get the acetone on the ca finish.

I also use these tubes, but I let the pen vent in a capless tube for at least a day or so. BTW, if you order much from PSI, they have the tubes as well. They are a little more, but if you are ordering anyway, you can take advantage of the shipping charge and end up about the same.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Exotics also offers a little different design tube. Obviously, I prefer---but the reason is it opens at either end, so you can push a pen out if it is "stuck".

potts17

Ed, I just ordered a bunch from the exotic blanks website, hopefully they'll work out well. Thanks again everyone.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
thank you!!

I think you will like them, the other types I tried before we handled any, the caps fell off easily and the pens would drop on the floor. The ones we are selling the caps (both ends) fit very tightly. And, if you wear out the plastic tubing, keep the caps and ask us the cost of replacing just the tube. (The caps cost more than the tube!!)

Another hint: You can put masking tape around the caps or the tubes and label what type of pen goes in it.

I used to put white tape on the cap to mean fountain pens, nothing meant rollerball and blue tape meant "upgraded nib" fountain pen. Makes it MUCH easier if you are searching to replace a nib!!

Just ideas--

thanks again for your business!!!

Top Bottom