Irritated

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

I just received an order from PSI where I ordered some of the new click Polaris pen kits. I was surprised to read the instructions and learn that I needed a PKGEMBU bushing to assemble the pen. I reread the catalog and never found a reference to needing this bushing for assembly. The sales associate also never mentioned that the bushing would be needed.

Now I have that off my chest....

Anyone purchased these kits and found a way to assemble the pen without the bushing?

Thanks for you help

Rick Beckham

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Originally posted by beck3906

I just received an order from PSI where I ordered some of the new click Polaris pen kits.
Anyone purchased these kits and found a way to assemble the pen without the bushing?

Thanks for you help

Rick Beckham

Rick; I use bushings as clamps to hold the blank and use calipers to get to the exact size needed. Calipers are handy to have. I think you could take a couple of scrap pieces of oak or similar hardwood and make some make-do bushings. You need to size them to the inside diameter of the tubes and then to the fittings of the pen.

Hope this helps...

I have received bushings that were the wrong size and instructions that had the bushing size, order of bushings, or fitting sizes wrong. Measure everything the first time before putting tool to blank...

Rmartin

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you saying you need the bushing to assemble the pen, or to turn the pen to the correct size? Because, I think it's intuitive that a bushing is required to turn a pen, although some advanced turners go by a caliper measurement rather than trust the bushing.

gerryr

I'm confused also, but I did got to PSI's website and the bushing you refer to is for turning the Gemini pen, not even the Polaris pen. Do the instructions indeed say they are for the Polaris click pen?

Russianwolf

Wondering if it's a special piece to use when pressing the "finial" in so that you aren't pressing the plunger. If so, you might be able to make one simply by drilling a hole in a piece of wood slightly larger and deeper than the plunger.

Firefyter-emt

That funky Gemini kit does use the bushing to press the kit it self togather, but the Polaris does not.

Here are the instructions for the Polaris kit. Not as simple as the Serria, but still quite easy.

beck3906

Sorry to be confusing about the bushiongs.

The instructions for the Polaris click pen kit indicate that a required accessory is the PKGEMBU bushing. The isntructions indicate that the longer bushing from this set is used to assemble the pen. I'm trying tounderstand how the bushing is used, but I'm being dense understanding how it's used.

Ihave the bushings to turn the barrell, I just don't have the assembly bushings.

Hope this helps.

I see that Rich K. wrote an article on this pen on penturners.org. I hope he can shed some light.

Rick

Rmartin

I see. Others have picked up on the problem, but let me see if I can clarify. When pressing together a click pen, the click mechanism can be damaged during the pressing. Drill a hole in a small cutoff piece off wood which will fit over the clicker so that you're pressing the cap and not putting any pressure on the click mechanism.

mdburn_em

One of the Gemini bushings has a shoulder that is very long. This is used to press a part an exact distance into the barrel. If you don't find the answer, PM me and I will measure the length of mine so you know how far to press the item into the barrel.
I'm out of town for today, or I would have measured and posted the results.

beck3906

Richard Kleinhenz posted a response on penturners.org that PSI provided him with a brass tube to use for this. He also indicated that the instructions apparently have been rewritten.

The Gemini bushing is used to push a "mechanism nut" into the body a specific distance. What a pain to need another item to assemble this pen.

If you buy this style, be sure to order the Gemini bushings to complete assembly. Or ask the sales person what is being recommended or provided now.

Rick

smitty9306

Hi All
I just received some of the new polaris click pens. PSI Sent along a small brass piece and an addendum to the instructions for these pens. If you need dimensions I will get them for you, I would post them now but I have to be at work at 630 and dont have time to run to the shop. I also had a problem with the pen after it was all assembled. The click mechanism would not work and the refill would not retract into the pen. I fixed this problem by sanding the black top of the refll to reduce its diamater slightly.Not sure if it was just mine or if this is needed for all of these pen kits, but that worked for me and now it works ok.It might just be me because I have one of their guardian pens that I still have not got to work.
Jon

beck3906

I would appreciate if you could either post the addendum or PM me with the addendum. I would really like to get these made for a show this weekedn.

Thanks
Rick

Top Bottom