Ironwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodscavenger

SHARP TOOLS! Sharpen them just before your finishing cuts to limit tear outs. Micromesh really makes the copper flecks stand out in the darker varieties and finish it with CA/BLO.

mrcook4570

NOTICE: Do not use ironwood for making pens. Doing can be hazardous to your wallet and may cause addiction. Send all of it to me and I will dispose of it properly. [;)]

ilikewood

Which type of "ironwood" do you have? There is desert ironwood, Lignum Vitae (the original), and several other species that have been given an "ironwood" tag.

Almost all of these are wonderful woods to turn and finish. Some have a tendency to check very bad..very fast. Take care with them.

Dario

Bill,

I am not sure what type...all my research (leaves configuration, thorns, pods, etc) points to desert ironwood but not really sure. It does check/crack bad...even with sealer.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Docsmith45
<br />Ijust got some ironwood blanks. Does anyone have any wisdom and advice on working with ironwood? It's new to me.

Doc

If you want wisdom, you will have to ask elsewhere. [;)] But, advice, we have plenty of that here. Lotsa different ironwoods. My advice is, remember why it is called IRONwood, proceed accordingly and enjoy. Great stuff to turn and usually makes a beautiful pen.

ilikewood

Dario, being from TX you probably have the desert ironwood...which is a fabulous wood. And yes...hard on the band saw (this is where the 3/4" 3tpi blade helps a bunch). The problem I have is "gooing" up the blade with all the oils.

Lignum Vitae comes from the Carribbean areas and is usually from very wet areas. It is also a tan/green color.

Both woods like you describe are very bad about checking. As soon as I turn it, I CA it as fast as possible before finishing. It doesn't soak in, but helps seal it pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom