Iroko Wood Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithlong

I have acquired some Iroko boards rom a friend of mine that went to visit his brother who has a son-in-law that works fro a large milling shop. He called me up and said that he has these boards that are 3/4 inch thick and 3 1/2 inches wide x 4 foot long, then he says, I brought these back for you. All i want is a pen made from one of them. Has anyone worked with this wood. How does it turn. It has a beautiful grain to it. Thanks, Keith

philb

Turns very easily and takes a very nice finish, even bare wood has a nice gloss to it!

Just be careful with the dust, as when turning and especially when sanding its very dusty and fine! Also some people are pretty allergic to the dust, so make sure you have and extractor or at least a mask!

PHIL

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
Iroko / African Teak Characteristics
Since Iroko has good weathering properties, it's a decent substitute for teak and even shares a similar color range. Medium to coarse texture with an interlocking grain that often produces interesting patterns. Open pores requires filling for a smooth finish. Works pretty easily with both power and hand tools.

Top Bottom