IPE Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GregMuller

Has anyone used Ipe Wood for turning and if so is it a good wood to turn. I was givin some planks of it and having never turned it was woundering if it was worth cutting into blanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dubdrvrkev

It is a nice wood to turn. It is a little oily so make sure to solvent wipe before finishing though.
Here are some that I did a long time ago.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=6175&SearchTerms=Ipe

Possumpoint

Have two Ipe blanks on the lathe right now. Make sure your tools are very sharp. I wipe all my blanks with DNA after the initial sanding so I've not experienced any problems with oiliness.

Ryan

I have about 40 bft or it right now if anyone wants me to cut some up for them. It has a spice smell to it. I have even taken a piece and put it on the dresser as a room air freshner.

Ryan

TomServo

I agree, Ipe smells great - but be warned, if it's very dry it can splinter something fierce when you turn it - make sure your tools are scary sharp, and wear eye protection! It is very hard and very dense stuff, and takes a great polish. It's very long lasting stuff outdoors too.. turns kind of grey after a few years.

edit: it's also great for making staffs and canes out of - incredibly sturdy stuff. it's a favorite of martial artists for weapons, as it's hard (and heavy) as heck and doesn't cut very easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom