Ipe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wvperch

Sorry Guys, I must not be using the search function correctly. I tried searching, on here, finishing suggestions for Ipe, but came back with 0 results. Came back with 0 results for just IPE as well, which I don't believe.

Anyways, very dense and oily. Any seasoned pros have a suggestion on what to use as a finish? Will the usual CA work on this wood? Never messed with this before.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

CA should work just fine. If the wood is oily, wipe it down a couple times with denatured alcohol prior to the CA. That should remove the surface oil and allow the glue to adhere to the wood.

greenacres2

I've done a few Ipe pens, and used friction polish (Woodturner's Finish), as I was a little concerned about CA adhering. The WTF just darkened it, and it was pretty blah when done. That was back when I had about no spare tubes for anything--it's time to try it again, but use CA. What I have has been in the garage for at least 5 years, and at a lumberyard for at least 3 years prior (was a "special order" of 5/4 x 6" decking that didn't get picked up, so I got 250 linear feet for $100 delivered. Did a 10' x 10' deck with plenty to spare!!)
earl

Top Bottom