Inventory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Flaturner

Now that I have begun to add more blanks, pen styles, tools, material, etc. LOML came out to the studio/workshop and asked, "Don't you think you should keep an inventory of what you have?" Being the good husband that I am, I said, "Sure, Hon, that's a really good idea", after which she poked me in the arm real hard and went back into the house. But, it did set me to thinking that maybe that was a good idea. I looked and there is a YouTube out there about an inventory program for pen turners but I could not find the guy's link to the program. Anyone else keep an inventory on Excel or Access or something else? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
#
Supplier
Components
Material Turned
Plating
$ SP

This is my inventory of pens in Excel! As simple as I want it to be.

That's not the way it showed up on the preview. Those are my column headings from top down going left to right!

As I sell a pen I copy and paste to a Sold Sheet and remove from the inventory sheet.

J.D. I may have misunderstood the type of inventory you were looking for. My inventory is for my completed pens. I attempted the same type of an inventory for kits etc. but found keeping it up-to-date just wasn't worth while.

Last edited:

snyiper

You all are better than I. Now bear in mind I make pens mostly for swaps or friends. I go to my pen box and decide on which kit is appropiate for that person. Next thing is I rumage through all my wood blanks (several Boxes and a china cabinet) and pick a few "possibles" then I look through all my acrylics, solid surface stuff to see if anything jumps out and make my determination from there. I have never been one to know ahead of time what I will turn next and I purchase wood on a whim!!! Who needs a inventory every pen is like Christmas ya never know what goodies youll find when digging!!!

Last edited:

jd99

I use Microsoft Access, and I downloaded their template called Product inventory Database. It takes a little learning curve but it works for me, I have my blanks in it my kits in it ,and my finished pens in it. It will allow you to add pictures for each item, and it will generate P.O.'s and invoices, and etc.

Flaturner

Thanx

Thanks to everyone for the input. I downloaded MyPenBox and will try it out but I think it is overkill. (BTW: Overkill is underrated.) Being a bit of a techie I may go that route. I don't have Access anymore but may get it with my next computer. I will probably go with Excel and just keep a basic list of woods, kits, and materials with their costs and completed pens with their prices. Thanks, again.

Rangertrek

I started off with an Excel spreadsheet and after 3 years of penmaking I now use an Access database with all the information about completed pens, customer list, where a pen was sold, what is in stock, etc. I have a small spreadsheet for inventory and purchases that I plan to add to the database in the future.

azamiryou

I attempted the same type of an inventory for kits etc. but found keeping it up-to-date just wasn't worth while.

I found this, too. It's inconvenient but not too hard to remember to update it when I get new stuff; I could never remember to update it on the other end, when I put something in a pen. Or sold a refill. Or whatever.

What I do now is put the information right there with the parts: what it is, the vendor, and the price. Automation is overrated. I make pens, why not use 'em?

Completed pens I track in Excel, although I'm about ready to switch over to a database, as it's getting a bit unwieldy.

jd99

What I do is as soon as I buy a batch of kits, or blanks I enter them into the database at that time along with what each item cost me, and most of the time add a sample picture to the DB.

Then when I make a pen, I remove the kit(s) I use, and the blank(s) i use from inventory.

Most of the time I am making stock inventory for the shows or to add to my site (as soon as i get it done), and i usally sit down and plan out 12-24 pens of different types, and different blanks at a time, I set up the kits and the blanks together in a plastic bin cases I have.
Then at the same time I create a record/part number for each of the finished pens, this also helps me keep track of the actual cost of materials for each pen.

The DB also tells me when to reorder when stock gets low. if I set the DB record to do that (kits and blanks I set up that way finished pens i do not)

I try to buy stock for the stuff I sell in the shows in quantity so I might have gotten the kits before at say five bucks (for example), but the next time it is 6 bucks this way I can adjust my prices for what the materials replacement cost are at the time I use them, and sell them.

plus the DB generates sales orders, and purchase orders. Not to mention keeps an address of customers and vendors.

I know it sounds like a lot of work but it isn't really, once the DB is all set up its just takes about 10 min. or so each time i buy stock, or make pens. Plus I can generate reports to see if I'm making profit or loosing my butt.

navycop

What I do is as soon as I buy a batch of kits, or blanks I enter them into the database at that time along with what each item cost me, and most of the time add a sample picture to the DB..

Is this some thing you came up with or software? I would like to give this a try. I didn't have any type of inventory control in 2011. I would like to start now before get to far into 2012.

jd99

What I do is as soon as I buy a batch of kits, or blanks I enter them into the database at that time along with what each item cost me, and most of the time add a sample picture to the DB..

Is this some thing you came up with or software? I would like to give this a try. I didn't have any type of inventory control in 2011. I would like to start now before get to far into 2012.
I use Microsoft Access, and down loaded the "Product Inventory Database" from Microsoft (it's free). it takes a little bit to learn it, and it can be modified if you want, but for the most part it works fine for me. I like the fact that I can add pictures to each record.

When I do shows, I just save a copy to the laptop and update it as I make sales, during the slow time. Then just save the updated file to my server, after we get home.

Top Bottom