An interesting request

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

martyb

I just had a guy I work with wonder if I could turn a pen made out of that spray on truck bedliner material.

Interesting thought. Would definitely appeal to a different demographic that may not normally purchase a handcrafted pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Problem is, that liner gets it's character from the surface texture. If you were to turn one down, it would lose that texture.

I'd either:

Spray some 7mm tubes, cast them in resin, turn to shape. It would lose it's texture, but not visualy. Hopefully it'll still look bumpy even though it's smooth as glass.

Turn a pen to shape, overturned as to almost hit the brass near each bushing (for a slimline) then spray the pen and assemble. Hopefully the overturning will compensate for the thickness of the spray and your fittings will be somewhat flush.

broitblat

My impression of this stuff is that it is fairly soft, although durable. I would think it would be difficult to turn without tearing/stretching.

Skye

Well, it's probably a spray on. I would imagine he's after the texture of the sprayed on bedliner. Otherwise it'll just be a smooth plastic pen.

Paul in OKC

Originally posted by Skye
<br />Well, it's probably a spray on. I would imagine he's after the texture of the sprayed on bedliner. Otherwise it'll just be a smooth plastic pen.
Stuff can be fairly thick. We have some tools coated with it from time to time. I would have a couple of tubes sprayed, clean the ends and assemble the pen!

bananajeep

I purchased some Hurculiner to coat the inside of my Jeep Wrangler, but never did. The stuff is available from most chain auto part stores in kit form or as an extra quart size. This stuff is the DIY bed liner. it brushes or rolls on. This might be an easy and cheaper way to see if the idea would work.

Let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out.

Interesting idea

Skye

I really think the key would be to spray the tube with a light coat then cast it. I'm curious what it would look like myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom