Interchangable carbide tips

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike Powell

A while back, someone posted a site to buy the replacable carbide tips for a fraction of the cost. It was like 10 tips for the same price as one.

If at all possible could you repost the link to that supplier? I looked in the search and didnt find it.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

I googled and found the thread I was looking for.

The place is Global Tooling. 1.56 each.

Carbide Insert Knives - Global Tooling

How long do these tips last? I havent gotten to use mine yet, just trying to get ahead of the game here.

That looks like the exact same ones I purchased several years ago when I made my carbide insert tool. Hard to say how long they will last, depends on the amount and type of material you turn, but with 4 usable sides, one insert should last a good while, just rotate it when you "feel" that it's getting dull. Some folks also use a diamond sharpener on the top flat to sharpen them and reuse them...

Mike Powell

Mainly I only use wood and Acrylic, but I do have two trustone blanks waiting on me. I have the HF cheap set of tools at home and I know I have to sharpen them about every two pens, a little more when I turn acrylics.

Its good to know that the carbide tips can be reused.

MarkD

As per previous recommendations I purchased the following from Global tooling:
For "Byrd" Shelix ® Journal (Helical) Heads -- 15mm x 15mm x 2.5mm - 4-edge - Radius Faces
100mm face radius - 15mm x 15mm x 2.5mm. Fits "Byrd" Shelix ® Heads - Byrd Ref. P/N 1791212 (Priced per knife, sold in boxes of 10.) Knives marked with 'BT'

They are $2.61 each in boxes of 10.

shortz1lla

I googled and found the thread I was looking for.

The place is Global Tooling. 1.56 each.

Carbide Insert Knives - Global Tooling

How long do these tips last? I havent gotten to use mine yet, just trying to get ahead of the game here.

They last a LOOONG time. I bought some from Global Tooling, and use them (exclusively) to turn bands from aluminum for duck calls... I'm still on the first insert after about 4 months, I've turned approximately 130-150 bands with it and am only on the second side of the square.

turncrazy43

The 15mm cutters don't appear to be a match for easy wood tools. But Capt Eddie has the cutters that are slightly less wide and fit the Easy Wood tools that I have.

wildbill23c

Banned
The 15mm cutters don't appear to be a match for easy wood tools. But Capt Eddie has the cutters that are slightly less wide and fit the Easy Wood tools that I have.

Ok, thanks. I was looking and the 3/8" easy rougher's cutter comes out to about 10mm. I'll check up on the Capt Eddie site here later on, right now I'm still on the first side of the 4 sided cutter head.

plano_harry

The Global Tooling "Byrd" cutters fit the Woodchuck PenPro or you can grind a flat and shoulder on 1/2" square piece of key stock, drill and tap and you are good to go. The only problem I have with the cutters is they are so sharp, the top surface is like a mirror and reflects my light back in my eyes - but they hold an edge forever. For 65 cents an edge, I may not even try to sharpen them!

shortz1lla

What tools are you using these carbide cutters on? Will they work on the Easy Start Rougher tools from Woodcraft?

I made my own from 3/8 tool steel I got from Amazon for dirt cheap and turned a handle from Hard Maple (most every shop jig I've made is from Maple). Make a flat, drill and tap a size that fits and use an allen head bolt to secure the cutter can't remember if it's 10-24 or 8-32. I've got about $3 in mine not including the carbide inserts.

A total of $5 for the exact same thing ez wood tools sells for $125, and it took about 15 minutes to make. It could likely be done faster, but it was my first one.

PenMan1

The Global Tooling "Byrd" cutters fit the Woodchuck PenPro or you can grind a flat and shoulder on 1/2" square piece of key stock, drill and tap and you are good to go. The only problem I have with the cutters is they are so sharp, the top surface is like a mirror and reflects my light back in my eyes - but they hold an edge forever. For 65 cents an edge, I may not even try to sharpen them!

If you are turning. PR, Alumilite, or Acrylic, a small dab of "axle grease" on the top of the cutter head will stop the blinding reflection of a halogen light that comes off of that mirror finish of the cutter head. It also seems to help the cutter slide along better without "digging in", too.

I don't know how it would work with wood. I rarely make wooden pens because they don't sell as well for me. Also, I hate to waste good carbide on wood, when HSS will usually handle most wood blanks.

Top Bottom