INSTRUCTIONS ARE WRONG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

I've turned several kits where the drill bit called for in the instructions is too small. For example, just about every pen I've turned that calls for a 3/8" bit, I've had to upsize to 25/64" drill bit. Just turned a Roman Harvest today. It calls for a 31/64 and a 33/64 bit for the barrels. The 31/64 is fine. Impossible to get the tube in after using a 33/64 bit. I "overkilled" with a 14mm, which I had on hand, with no problems. Will probably invest in a 17/32" or a 13.5mm for future Roman Harvests though.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I never rely on the instructions for drill bit sizes. Actually, I dont even look. I measure the tubes and pick the bit I think will work successfully.i have fount too many drill bit errors reported on instruction sheets.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
I've turned several kits where the drill bit called for in the instructions is too small. For example, just about every pen I've turned that calls for a 3/8" bit, I've had to upsize to 25/64" drill bit. Just turned a Roman Harvest today. It calls for a 31/64 and a 33/64 bit for the barrels. The 31/64 is fine. Impossible to get the tube in after using a 33/64 bit. I "overkilled" with a 14mm, which I had on hand, with no problems. Will probably invest in a 17/32" or a 13.5mm for future Roman Harvests though.

Xander

I measure the tubes and use the next size SMALLER, check, then run the final bit through. Oh and I always start with a 3/16.

okiebugg

easier way

I find that upsizing of the drill bit gives you grief. Many times it will oversize the hole making you use copious amounts of adhesive.

At my bench, I sit and use tat tail files. No sharpening blades (too fine) I have 3 different files for different sizes that I purchased from WW Grainger. Look at them before purchasing to make sure of the roughness of the files. rough is what I like. It only takes a few strokes to make the blank large enough to fit the tube.

leestoresund

There are some woods that expand after they are drilled. You just need to re-drill them before you insert the tube.

That might not be the problem with your particular woods but it is something to be aware of.

Now if you were drilling acrylics or PR....

Lee

bubbamorse

Interesting, I've not had any problems (in my limited experience) with instructions being inaccurate, but I've only needed to use 7mm or 10mm for the pens I've made thus far. I just purchased some Roman Harvest pens from timberbits and was going to purchase the 31/64" and 33/64" bits for them, but I think I'll hold off until I see the responses to this thread....Thanks!

Andrew_K99

I've never had an issue with the drill bit size as listed in the instructions. I've done slims, razors, cigars, Jr Gents II's, Jr Statesmen, Long Clickers, Sierras, and probably others I have forgotten.

Have you confirmed your 3/8" bit is actually 3/8"? Maybe it was mis labelled?

AK

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As was mentioned, the material being drilled DOES make a difference.

Oily woods will swell after being drilled, the hole gets smaller.

As Don (It'svirgil) suggests, measure the tube, then choose your bit. You may be surprised how often you will have to "drill out" if you make exotic wood pens.

gimpy

My recommendations would to call David at Timberbits. He is a very reasonably vendor and would want to know of any issues there may be out there

jcm71

I've never had an issue with the drill bit size as listed in the instructions. I've done slims, razors, cigars, Jr Gents II's, Jr Statesmen, Long Clickers, Sierras, and probably others I have forgotten.

Have you confirmed your 3/8" bit is actually 3/8"? Maybe it was mis labelled?

AK

Yes, I have. Also, I've used several different 3/8 inch bits with the same results. Interesting responses guys. Thanks for the input and advice.

JD Combs Sr

Sounds like the same size tubes used on Churchills. Arizona Silhouette recommends a 13.3mm bit as a substitute for the 33/64 and they stock it. It is what I use and haven't had any problems.

jcm71

WOW!! David just called me from Australia to talk about my problem. What a class act. He gave me several suggestions on what might have caused the problem. Can't try his suggestions out tonight. Already had some wine. Follow up in a day or two.

Top Bottom