INSIDE TUBE SCRAPER

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lonn

I read several threads on this site about people having problems removing all the glue from the inside of the pen tubes without removing brass and creating out of round tubes resulting in poorly fitting pen parts to tubes. You can take an inexpensive 1/4 inch gouge either bowl or spindle configuration and grind a opposite than typical 45 Degree grind which will create a bur that will remove glue without damaging the brass. I always use a Qtip to apply a release paste wax or lubricant prior to glue up. I use a tube insertion tool . After the glue is dry i use a mini chop saw to remove 1/16 inch of glue and wood off each end and use a hand countersink to smooth up the ends.Then remove any glue inside of the tube by inserting the tool mostly through the tube to push/ scrape the glue buildup from the outlet end . I had to sand my inside tube scraper slightly to fit through a 7 mm tube, now i can use it on any size tube. It actually performs its operation on fatter tubes with greater ease than on the 7 MM small ones.

Attachments

• inside tube scraper 001.JPG
    inside tube scraper 001.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 304
  • inside tube scraper 004.JPG
    inside tube scraper 004.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 276
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tim'sTurnings

I have posted this pic before, (I think).

I just cut off a piece of threaded rod and glued it into a handle I made. Works great. Just slide it in and out of the tube to scrape off any excess glue/debris. It has worked for all size pens for me.
DCP_0802-1-1.jpg

Fred

Use the correct sized shaft on a barrel trimmer as sbell111 states, or, get the right sized cleaning rods and brass brushes - like the ones used for cleaning the barrel of your hunting rifles, handguns, etc.

I just mount the blank - prior to turning- and insert the brass brush and let the lathe do the work instantly. No problems what so ever removing anything glue or paint wise from inside the tubes.

Lonn

Use the correct sized shaft on a barrel trimmer as sbell111 states, or, get the right sized cleaning rods and brass brushes - like the ones used for cleaning the barrel of your hunting rifles, handguns, etc.

I just mount the blank - prior to turning- and insert the brass brush and let the lathe do the work instantly. No problems what so ever removing anything glue or paint wise from inside the tubes.

I will give this atry soon, because i have been trying that by hand.

sbell111

I just buy the appropriately-sized barrel trimmer shaft.
The appropriately sized trimmer shaft is not the inside size of the tube, i learned that one early on. Lonn
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I have something like nine different pen mills all with different sized shafts. I can't think of a scenario where I don't have a pen mill that is properly sized to remove the errant glue.

Top Bottom