Inserts for the Woodchuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

There are three different inserts to use with the woodchuck
straight
R-2
R-4

Could any of you describe your turning results with the r-2 / r-4 Which do you like better in turning pens? and Why?

With a mixture of wood and acrylic how many pens do you typically turn before you change inserts?

thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

I like the R-2 for shaping and giving a blank a little more roundness. When I want a blank that is spot on straight I will use the R-4. I have not used a straight insert, but would only use it for tenons.

GoodTurns

I use the r2's for everything, very happy with it so haven't used the 4's. managed to screw stuff up with the straights so don't use them any more!... change them when I need to...you can feel it similarly to when you would need to sharpen a regular hss tool.

zig613

I use both but I prefer the R2 over the R4. It seems to produce a little smoother finish and it maybe just my imagination but it seems to keeps an edge a little longer than the R4. Perhaps they are made by different manufacturers and there may be a difference in the quality of the insert?

Wade

leestoresund

I like the R4 over the R2 because of the larger radius. I don't know how many pens I've turned with the Woodchuck Pro. Couple of hundred. I recently purchased some replacement inserts and they may cut a little better. I'm tempted to put one back on to see if I can tell the difference. I turn wood, PR and acrylic. In each case the blanks need little to no sanding prior to finishing. Lee

Top Bottom