Inlaying pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jttheclockman

Other than using lasers is there a cheap tool or method to do inlay work on pens and other small objects like bottlestoppers??? If so where can I find out more info on this??? Would also like to see examples if there is someone who does this. Thanks in advance for the replys.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Haven't tried it myself, but I know that a few people have used a Dremel tool to establish a pattern, then fill it with crushed stone or a contrasting wood (sawdust). That might be worth a try.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Take a look in my album. There are a number of pens where I glued mother of pearl inlays to the tube or a built up area around the tube, cast colored resin around the inlay and then turned. Just need to make sure the inlay will be exposed at the final pen diameter. No laser, no dremel tool and very crisp transition from inlay to background.

stevers

Hey John,
Your user name looks mighty familiar to me. Are you from Woodworking Crafts Forum?
I logged on there as S.Swiger. I don't hang there much because they don't seem to be too interested in pen turning. Liked the site, just not enough action for me there. Welcome to IAP.

jttheclockman

Stevers~

Yes that is me. I am just getting into pen turning and have a whole bunch of ideas floating in my head. Now all I need is the time to execute them. HA HA. As far as that site goes we need more people like you to become active and kick it in gear. I have tried but not too successful so far. Sites like this are extremely helpful because this is what they do here. So I will be sticking around and am sure I will have tons of questions.

Leap~

Thanks for the info and will check it out.

KenV

Pat Lawson, Jay Pickins and others have used the TurboCarvers. 430,000 rpm air powered carver that uses dental burrs. Google for wood carver supply to see the unit. About $250.

stevers

Your welcome John. Thats what I like about this site as well. It's all about pen turning. If I want to talk about cabinet making, I'll go to a cabinet making forum. I like the one subject idea a lot myself. And I like the people here too. Lots of experience and at the same time, new folks with questions that even I can help with. Makes a guy fell needed.[:D][:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom