Inlaying --How I do it

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

Had several folks ask ----so made some time today.
This is one of the Eagles that I have for sale over on the MVV forum.
I will get the pics loaded and come back and try to add enough info to get you headed the right direction.

I figure out where I want the inlay to sit---mark the top and bottom--
Then I drill holes to match the lenght of the opening I want. Then I use a router or a Dermal tool to open the hole to the size I need for the inlay

200872192728_eg1.jpg

After I get the hole the right size I build the blank---installing the painted tube with Epoxy. I add a little extra to the hole after the tube is installed to make sure the inlay get a good seat.
I mount the whole pen on the lathe and fill the hole full of Epoxy and let her dry. PR would do a good job but I am out right now and Epoxy works.

200872192812_eg2.jpg

This is what it looks like on the lathe. I will get it done in the morning.

200872192914_eg3.jpg

Hope this helps.
Oh the blank---Yup it's Dalberg Stevensoni from Nolan.
Kit is a Jr from CSUSA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nolan

Very nice Gary, Looking forward to seeing the completed pen. Are they both about the same size?? The pheasant looks like with the wings it may have to go into a full sizes pen. Just wondering what you think, may have to try one for a hunting guy I know.

Gary Max

Paul that really is one step----it gives you a chance to move the inlay around so it sits right.

Ron ---I don't know if it turns yellow---epoxy is all I had so that's what I used--- I would rather of used PR.

Hank ---I set this lathe up just for pens---the only thing I don't like is no Morse tapper. When I first built it I thought I was going to turn at shows---that lasted about one show and I figured out it's hard to sell and turn at the same time.

Gary Max

I have had a couple folks ask about this so I am am bumping the post.
We are setting up at a show today but I will try and place a ad later today.
Thanks

Top Bottom