Inlay Rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bjbear76

Has anyone tried (and had success) using an inlay blank to make a rollerball?
I have a request to make a sierra and a rollerball with the same inlay kit.
The inlay blanks are pre-drilled 27/64; the rollerball sections are 10.5 and 12.5mm. The 10.5mm tube is too loose inside the blank.

Any options?

magpens

Can you use a rollerball kit that is based on a 3/8" tube ? Don't know if there is one.

I have used an inlay blank on a click Vertex (PSI) which has a 3/8" tube.
I inserted and glued the 27/64" tube inside the inlay blank. Then I inserted a 10 mm tube inside the 27/64" tube. After a bit of careful sanding (on lathe) to reduce its OD, the 3/8" tube fits inside the 10 mm tube.

Some length adjustment was necessary to get the inlay blank up to the required length of the Vertex requirement (I used 2 equal length accent rings, one on each end of the inlay blank).

The length of the intermediate 10 mm tube is not critical. I actually used 2 short pieces of 10 mm tube cannibalized from a Cigar kit.

Good luck. I wish you success.

dthayer

Can you use a rollerball kit that is based on a 3/8" tube ? Don't know if there is one.

The Rollester and 50 Cal Cartridge Flip Pen kits from PSI both use a 3/8" tube and are rollerballs. Not sure about other kits from other vendors but this might be a start.

(Not sure if the flip pen would be what your client would want but it is a fun kit -- I just finished one!)

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
Top Bottom