Inlay pen kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I got an email today from Rockler, they have inlay pen kits for vets on sale. There are some nice looking kits and I think I might like try to make one.. but I dont know anything about them. Are the turned in the same other wood pens? Does anyone know if there are any videos showing one being made. Thanks for the help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glenspens

take a look at the inlay at wood-N-whimsies they have a nice navy one ....look under the tab...... whats new i have made some from them , i like thers because on most of them the inly is in the blank........

bobjackson

Passed Away Mar 5, 2020
In Memoriam
After I glue them up and on the tube, I put on the lathe and sand with 180 grit sandpaper until smooth. Then with light cuts, turn to shape, sand and finish as you would any wood blank. They're easy to do. Be careful fitting in the pieces, if you firce too much, the base piece cracks easily. Be gentle.

You can turn them if you are VERY good, most inlay kit instructions suggest sanding them down. One little catch and the kit is gone. There is not much to sand down they are pretty close when you get them. Plus the sanding fills in the joints when you add the CA. Just make SURE you don't use a pen mill on these kits you have to sand the ends.

Try this video 04-14-11 Lazerlinez Pen Kit by Russell Eaton and Constant Laubscher (01h32m06s) - YouTube

Mike

carlmorrell

I have had as much good luck, as bad with inlay kits.

I love the stars & stripes kit, made quite a few nice pens from them. A few other kits weren't too bad. But a few require quite a bit of trickery to get the parts in. For example breaking parts. Once the kit is assembled, all you really need to do on the lathe is sand.

I had one that was a real pain, broke parts, mashed a few stars in, had a blow up on the lathe, but in the end, it turned out pretty nice. Let's say that one is not for sale. It's nice enough to keep, but I don't want to try to assemble another one.

In all, I have thrown three kits in the trash. Not fun chucking out an expensive kit.

Last edited:

bobjackson

Passed Away Mar 5, 2020
In Memoriam
After I glue up the piece and on the blank, I put on the lathe and sand with 180 grit sandpaper until smooth, then with light cuts, turn to shape. Sand and finish as you would any wood blank. Be careful when fitting i9n the pieces as the outer blank will crack easily if you force too much.

Top Bottom