inlay material

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

baldeagle60

Very new at pen turning and need some help from you experienced guys and gals please. What is the best material to use when making an inlay such as a circle around the pen? I am looking at the Craft Supplies USA catalog and see crushed stone, crushed stone powder, and inlace metal dust. Since the circle will be rather narrow and shallow I thought maybe the crushed stone would be too big. I am from New Mexico and we have to put a bit of turquoise on everything. Thanks for the assistance.
baldeagle60

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Welcome to the IAP. You could buy a stick of Turquoise Tru Stone and then you can have the ring any width you want. You may also want to check the AZ Silhouette site, Bill Baumbeck also sells crushed stone. I have never used it so I can't provide much help.

BTW, we love to see pictures.[:p]

Scott

Hi Sam!

Welcome to the IAP!

Crushed stone works really well, but if it's a shallow groove you're inlaying into, make sure it is crushed fine enough. Gerry's suggestion above about contacting Bill Baumbeck at Arizona Silhouette is a very good one! He sells various grades of crushed stone, including turquoise, but the chrysacolla is even better. He also sells great pen kits, and wonderful pen blanks as well.

Good Luck!

Scott.

reed43

The crushed stone from BB is great. I mix it with thick CA to apply and the super fine will fill the smallest of rings. Hope this helps Reed

dubdrvrkev

Or you can go on the cheap and use some embossing powder from your local Michaels or other craft store. Lots of colors available, even turquoise. [;)]

Russb

If it is just a decorative circle around the pen you want you might try cutting your blank in half gluing a pices of dyed wood in the middle and gluing the blank back togeter. After you turn the pen the effect you will get is a band aroung the pen.

Johnathan

Crushed stone and embossing powder work well. I try to keep sandings from all the various woods I use, so I have quite a bit of variety of wood colors I can use. The sandings can be mixed with epoxy or ca as an inlay material. [:)]

hsaptaemr

When using CA glue for inlay, does anyone experience melting of the glue upon applying a final friction finish? I have experienced this when trying to fill gaps with CA glue but am not sure if it would happen when there is filling or inlay material?

gerryr

Do you mean you're using a friction polish over a CA finish? My question about that would be why? If you want a high gloss finish, you get any higher gloss than CA will give you all by itself. Just be sure you go through all the grades of micromesh and then buff with white diamond and it will shine like glass. If you're talking about using friction polish on wood that happens to have an inlay with CA, I would think you would have to hold the applicator against it for a long time to build up enough heat to melt the CA. Could be wrong though since I quit using FP after about a dozen pens because the shine wouldn't last.

BTW, welcome to the IAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom