inlay for an irish knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

barrysj

So I used to take a green swirl acrylic blank and cut pieces to the width of my saw kurf for irish knot inlays. The problem is that it is not the safest thing in the world to do using a mitre saw. I'm looking for a similar "sheet" of acrylic like a pickguard that has green swirl throughout the entire sheet that I can cut up. (pickguards often are layered and don't have the pearl or swirl go already through.)

Does any one have a good plastic or acrylic sheet supplier that has a swirl like emerald green for this purpose?

Thanks,

Dude

Steve Barry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I can't say never but I have never seen anything such as that. Do you have a tablesaw or access to one??? I would say that is your best bet. There are some here who use a hand operated mitre saw and maybe you may have that. If you are good at parting things on a lathe you may want to try that. That is all I got for you, sorry.

Mr Vic

How about a plastic Folgers Decaf can...I've use both the red and green from these. They're not roun but rather multi flat sided.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Yup yup sled sled. And a HIGH quality, wide blade for your band saw and then, yes you can get the segments you need using it. The other addition for safely cutting long thin strips of wood using any saw is a vacuum rip fence. It holds the cutoff to it so the cutoff can't fall back into the blade. http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articles/VacuumRipFence/VacuumRipFence.htm

My sled and vacuum rip fence (with micro adjust capability) is shown here http://www.penturners.org/forum/showpost.php?p=831385&postcount=4

With that I make these:
attachment.php

Good luck!

KenV

I find it strange that the lead for the AAW Segmented Turners Chapter, Malcolm Tibbits is not accused of all kind of bad things. Malcolm uses a chop saw with a holddown for doing all kinds of segmented cutting. He describes the techniques in his book and in his 5 DVDs --

Chop saw works well but it does require a well thought out setup with appropriate holddowns -- just like with a table saw or band saw -

MobilMan

The answer is yes, Steve. I do all my cutting for pens on the bandsaw. Like always, make sure the end is square. I don't like the thickness of kerf on table saw [even with a thin kerf blade]. I use a 1/4 x 14TPI blade and cut slowly. Leave about 1/32 uncut & wet that area. Then wood will bend to spread kerf open without cracking.

Top Bottom